Please sign in to post.

iPods and 220 V?

Folks, thanks for all the info on MP3 players for audiobooks. It looks like the iPod may be a good choice. However, the Apple store person told me I couldn't use them on 220 V. However, I was less than impressed by the level of technical competence that was evident. Can someone tell me what type of transformer, cables, etc, need to use an IPod in Italy. (I won't be bringing a computer.)
Thanks!

Posted by
14806 posts

You need to buy a dual voltage charger that will fit the ipod as well as an adaptor plug.

Are you going to have more than one small electronic device that needs recharging? ipod, camera, cellphone, gps, etc?

If so, you might want to get something like this and order the adaptor plugs you need.

Chargepod

If not, I'm sure there are people here who can suggest a dual voltage charger.

Posted by
32171 posts

Sherry,

The suggestion in the previous post is a great solution if you have to charge more than one device. However, if you're just concerned about charging an IPod, have a look at This Charger. I've been using one for several years, and so far it has worked well.

The Charger IS designed for "world operation" on 100-240 VAC electrical systems. However, you will need a Plug Adapter appropriate for the area(s) you'll be visiting. The Euro Adapter has two round pins while the UK Adapter has two or three large rectangular pins. The Adapters are only a few dollars, available at Radio Shack stores, Magellans or Travel & Luggage stores.

Happy travels!

Posted by
180 posts

Sherry,

First, the person at the Apple store is technically correct. When you purchase an Apple iPod, it only comes with one cable - a USB cable so that you can charge your iPod through your computer. Apple decided that they want to charge extra for the ability to plug it into the wall and charge.

As the gents mentioned above, there are some good aftermarket charging options that do more then just charge an iPod. If you are charging more then just an iPod or want flexibility in the future, this is the way to go. Otherwise, you also have the option of just going back to the Apple Store and purchasing the AC adapter. It's basically a white block that the USB cable that came with your iPod plugs into and then plugs into the wall.

Right now Apple sells two versions. Both are white, but one is about half the size of the other. The one that is larger is without a doubt compatible with 220V and all you need to get after that is a prong adapter. Apple sells special ones that go directly into their adapters, but a cheap one does the exact same thing. As for the second, smaller adapter that Apple sells, I have to be honest in saying I am not sure if it does 220V. You will need to read the side of it and check the input voltage. It should say 100 - 240 or something similar.

Here are the two chargers:

The small one that I don't know can do 220

The one that I am sure can do 220 because I've used it

Hope that helps.

Pete

Posted by
191 posts

I've just posted some pictures if my ipod touch and what I take in order to charge it in Europe. I purchased an USB adapter for I believe $22 at an electronics shop at our local mall. The all important specification is that it accept USB 2.0 and allow input voltages from 100 to 240 volts. Then you need a plug adapter and you are good to go. The photos have descriptions to further clarify.

I also picked up an "outlets to go" from best buy... we've used it to simultaneously charge a cell phone, two camera batteries and keep a GPS running in our car while using an inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter which converted 12v DC to 110 AC. In Europe I will use it to charge the Ipod, cell phone and batteries for two cameras. The last picture has more description about that item. The advantage of the "outlets to go" is that I can charge everything simultaneously from one wall outlet and I will need only one plug adapter.

http://flickr.com/photos/28211850@N04/

Posted by
28 posts

The little apple USB charger is rated 100-240V. You'll need a plug adapter to suit the country you're in, but that's it.