Please sign in to post.

iPod Touch

Has anyone used the wifi feature around Europe? I'm purchasing the Touch anyway, but I wanted to see if the WiFi actually works.

Posted by
6898 posts

I'm not sure about Europe yet but my niece was surprised when she could access the internet in her brother's house (he has a wireless router). I just bought my wife one for Christmas. We're looking forward to that feature as well.

Posted by
32219 posts

Michelle, I haven't used the IPod Touch Wi-Fi in Europe, but have been trying it wherever I can find coverage in my home area. It seems to work surprisingly well, however I'm still learning how to use it (unfortunate that an Owner's manual isn't provided with the Touch - I had to access the online manual but haven't got around to printing it yet).

Operating with a such a small screen definitely takes some practise, as does typing on the very small keyboard (I have somewhat "large" fingers so this is a bit of a problem). The scrolling function and enlarging the pages works well. There are very few Wi-Fi Hotspots in my area, so I have only tried this a couple of times. The Safari Browser seems to do a good job of presenting web pages just as they would be on a regular PC, and the speed seems quite acceptable.

Hope this helps. Happy travels!

Posted by
1883 posts

Michelle, before you use your Iphone in Europe, call AT&T to find out about charges. I disabled my wireless before travel...the cost is prohibitive overseas. It's not FREE...especially if there is no free wifi, and you end up using the EDGE network.

Early users of Iphone came home from overseas trips with bills in the $100's, just because they had the wifi on all the time. Apple offered a new download that now allows users to turn off this feature.

Talk to someone at Apple or to Apple through AT&T to make sure you understand how this phone system works outside the US- BEFORE you travel!

I used my phone during my last trip, but used internet cafes to check my email, that saved me a ton of money. Iphone is FANTASTIC in the US, I've had mine for several months and LOVE it!

Just make sure you understand the difference between using the wireless feature and EDGE!

Posted by
191 posts

Just a little note to the last post.

There are two different products the iphone and the itouch.

From what I understand the itouch is like a combo between the regular Ipod and the iphone, but has no phone capablities therefore no bills, and I believe you can get internet access with the itouch wherever there is a wireless signal, with out paying for it.

I really can't decide if the itouch will be worth it, it doesn't have as much storage space as a classic ipod, and costs more. However I tried the display out at a local store and it is very nice, has access to youtube and i think you be hours of entertainment. Would love to hear from anyone else that owns one what they think.

Posted by
32219 posts

Some further clarification regarding the IPod Touch. The Touch model is basically the IPhone WITHOUT the cellular phone capability. It includes music, movies, photos and of course Wi-Fi access (short range wireless).

Wi-Fi access may OR may not be "free". It depends on the vendor. Many places that I've found in my home area (including Starbucks) charge a fee for accessing the net via Wi-Fi (Blenz Coffee is free). Many airports here in B.C. (YVR, YLW) also charge for Wi-Fi. Based on what I've seen in Europe so far, this is often provided at no charge.

The warnings about using Cellphones (inlcuding IPhones) while roaming in Europe are quite valid! If travelers use voice calls sparingly and text, roaming is not expensive. However, for those with data access (IPhone, Blackberry), it's wise to check with your carrier to find out the costs BEFORE you travel! I always travel with a cell phone, and the bill is usually <$150 for a one month trip (there's a cost for the convenience).