Please sign in to post.

iphone 4 in Europe

I'd like to use my iphone 4 in Europe just for accessing the internet via wifi. Can someone give me the settings to use so I do not get roaming charges for calls or data? Thank you!

Posted by
7209 posts

Hopefully you're not a Verizon Wireless customer because an Iphone 4 is not global ready.

Posted by
23 posts

A 4S can be unlocked for those with good account standing with Verizon. Just call them and ask.

Posted by
9110 posts

Turn off cellular data. Do nothing else. Leave airplane mode alone. You'll also still have a phone.

Posted by
3255 posts

Not sure if that addresses her concern about getting charged for phone calls if people at home happen to call, which I think is what she is asking. Does she just not answer the phone or access voice mail? What if someone texts her? I am curios as my husband says he will take his iPhone on our next trip, just for Internet too, but lots of people text him and we may not remember to tell all of them not to do it while we're away.

Posted by
3696 posts

Just don't answer calls... shut off the ringer. As far as the issue of email..you cannot just 'not open them'. If they are going to your phone during the time in Europe you will be charged, whether you open them or not, so you MUST turn off the data roaming. As far as texting (and I am assuming you have AT&T) you can pay $10 for a month of international outgoing texts limited to 50. All incoming are free on this plan. There is a small surcharge for any above 50, or maybe a plan that includes more.

Posted by
32322 posts

Anita, Whether or how you'll be able to use your iPhone 4 in Europe will depend on which network you're connected to. As someone else mentioned, if you're using a Verizon iPhone 4, it won't work in Europe for voice or text (but of course you could still use it in Wi-Fi areas). If you have an AT&T model, it will work in Europe, and therefore you'll have to be VERY careful to address the data roaming issue. Which settings to use will depend on the version of iPhone you're using. Could you provide a bit of further information? Cheers!

Posted by
931 posts

Anita, go to your carriers's web page and read the info about taking /using your phone in the EU. If you have ANY questions, call them. Just before you leave, go to "settings" in your phone and shut off "data". Then go to Settings, Usage, Cellular usage, Reset Statistics. This will re-set your "data' counter to zero. Now you will need to monitor it to ensue that data does not come back on. But, as far as I remember, all calls/texts to your phone will be charged at the overseas rate, even though you do not answer them, and they go to voice mail. You will need to to transfer your phone to eliminate that problem. Again, call your provider for more info, after you read their web page. When I was on AT&T with my IPhone 4, I bought that overseas texting and voice package. It really paid off for the few calls that snuck thru. On our last trip to the EU my Cousin went with us. She had a Verizon phone that would not function in the EU, so she got a loaner from them that would, signed up for their overseas package, and we texted. It might be a good idea to buy a small data package from your provider, also. Load Skype on your phone and you can make free or really cheap calls to anyone in the world when you are on wi-fi.

Posted by
550 posts

First, thank you, everyone, who took the time to respond to my question. I'm using iPhone 4 with Verizon. Please remember, I'm only looking for internet access via wifi, and I'm not planning to using the phone or text functions while in Europe. Again, thank you for helping a non-tech. person w/ a tech question.

Posted by
259 posts

Hi Anita, I travelled to the EU last summer with my Verizon Iphone 4 and like you just wanted it for wi-fi internet use. I turned on "airplane mode" once left the US and that was all I needed to do. Calls/texts didn't come through since the roaming function wasn't on. Hope that answers your questions (I'm not very tech oriented either; my brother had to show me that simple procedure!)

Posted by
32322 posts

@Todd, "I turned on "airplane mode" once left the US and that was all I needed to do. Calls/texts didn't come through since the roaming function wasn't on." If you were using a Verizon iPhone 4, calls or texts wouldn't have come through anyway, since the phone isn't capable of connecting with GSM networks. Whether you placed the phone in "Airplane Mode" or not, the result would have been the same in that regard. However, placing a CMDA phone in "Airplane Mode" in GSM areas will have one benefit. Since phones repeatedly try to find a network when they're not connected to one, "Airplane Mode" will provide better battery life, since the phone won't be searching (something which often uses full power), which will deplete batteries more quickly. Cheers!