Please sign in to post.

iPad or notebook

Ok so for months I've been researching and taking notes. Saving them in a word document on the computer. We bought an iPad...supposedly to take on our trip...but I can't seem to get my documents moved over now. So we face the dilemma of buying a notebook. Unless someone knows how I can get document files moved over. Tech people. Please help.

Posted by
1525 posts

Set up the ipad to receive your email Email yourself the Word document by attaching the file to the email. You should be able to click on the attachment when you open your email on your iPad and it should open as a PDF file. You can view it, but not alter it. You can also word process documents on the iPad itself using "Pages" app from the app store (cheap). I'm not sure if a Word document will transfer to Pages or not.

Posted by
964 posts

Word documents can be transferred to Pages. I used a memory stick to move documents from Word on my laptop, to Pages on my new Mac.
Never thought I'd be able to say anything about Techie 'stuff', most of it is a mystery to me ;-)

Posted by
9110 posts

If it's an emergency and you're running out of time, or it's something like a page in an atlas, just take a picture. Screen shots of stuff you dig up off the Internet work well also. Drop box is the king of solutions.

Posted by
521 posts

I agree with Ed, Dropbox is great. Sign up for a free account, which gives you 2GB or 3GB of free online storage. Copy the files you want into the Dropbox folder that is created on your PC and they will be uploaded to the online storage. Go to the Apple app store, install the iPad Dropbox app. Log in to your Dropbox account and you will see all your files. Any you mark as favourites on your iPad app will be downloaded to that device. Anything you don't mark as a favourite will stay in the online storage, but will be available when you have a WiFi signal. Dropbox synchronises all your devices, and provides a backup (which isn't really a backup in IT terms, but it'll do as a description for here) in the online storage. You can also save items from your iPad to Dropbox and access them on your PC.

Posted by
373 posts

I tried saving as a PDF and into ibooks but I can't edit it from here. any ideas?

Posted by
373 posts

Best 10 bucks i have spent. I downloaded Pages and it works great! Thank you all for your tremendous help it is greatly appreciated!

Posted by
373 posts

Thanks George I might look into that too. Yes we like to keep track...usually just in a little notebook but the app might be nice too. I'm glad my question helped you out Bett too. You never know if your question will be something that everyone else knows and you just never knew or it's something that others need to know. :) I think the people on Rick Steves have been a tremendous help to me with planning our trip. :)