Please sign in to post.

iPad & or iPhone maps??

For my iPhone4, or my iPad I'd like to buy maps, voice spoken, turn by turn directions for: Germany, Czech Republic, & Israel. Help appreciated

Posted by
833 posts

I'm not sure if voice/turn-by-turn maps are available for those countries. If they are, consider whether they must be used while connected to internet or if they can be used during airplane mode. It is likely that they must be used with internet - and if they are, then you'll need to consider the costs of international roaming internet charges. Some people prefer to use GPS systems instead of maps on their iPhones for these purposes. I have no experience with GPS though, can't give advice on it.

Posted by
10 posts

I recently downloaded the Garmin StreetPilot for Western Europe onto my iPad for a trip next month. If you want to use your iPad for gps turn-by-turn navigation, then you will need to make sure your device has the 3g capability, not just the wi-fi models. Only the 3G models have the gps chip to allow your device to receive the satellite signal. Make sure you have the data turned off or you will incur huge roaming fees. I am a bit concerned that the program won't work very well, but I am going to give it a try. There are lots of nav apps, but read the descriptions carefully since many do not store the map on your device and require a live data feed to update your map similar to "google maps". The Garmin app was expensive $99.00, but it is an established nav system and does offer turn-by-turn with locally stored maps. Good luck.