Please sign in to post.

Interracial Couples

Any interracial couples experience anything notibly bothersome while traveling in France, Germany or Amsterdam? More specifically a white male with a black woman.

Posted by
9109 posts

I know an interracial couple who traveled through France, and Spain and reported zero issues. Certainly there will be no issues in Holland as most of the locals initially thought they were Dutch...... it's common the in Netherlands.

Posted by
150 posts

Living in France, I will only give an opinion regarding this country. There are couples of different backgrounds in larger towns and cities* and nobody bats an eyelid. This is not to say that there are no racists (sadly, there are always people like that everywhere) but France has a relatively diverse population so it is not uncommon to see couples of different origin together. *This is not to say that people from the countryside are racist; simply, the countryside and smaller towns are less ethnically diverse.

Posted by
9145 posts

Interracial couples are fairly common in Germany. Sometimes it depends on where you are going though. The more international the city, the less notice you will receive.

Posted by
1068 posts

Hi KhaySyn! I am one half of an inter-racial couple (I'm white, he's black). We have traveled extensively in France and the UK, although not to Germany or Amsterdam - yet. (Will be going to either Amsterdam or Berlin this November, and have not decided which yet.) We have not had any trouble anywhere we have gone, even relatively small towns. We haven't even gotten that "Y'all ain't from around here, are you?" stare that we still sometimes get in the United States. It appears to be more of a non-issue in Europe. That being said, we sometimes wonder if that's truly the case, or if we have just been lucky. We are both football fans and are very aware of the ugly racial incidents that sometimes happen at matches (monkey face making, banana throwing, and other savagely ignorant and repellent garbage like that). If those attitudes prevail among non-troglodyte footie supporters anywhere in Europe, they have not spilled over into our travel experiences, which have been uniformly superb and unmarred by racism of any kind. My husband would actually love to move to Paris, it feels so welcoming to us as a couple. So... for what it's worth, that's me.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks everyone. We are excited to travel Europe this December. While we have been to many other countries we have yet to explore Europe.