Please sign in to post.

International Phone Cards

I am leaving next week for Europe with a Global Ready Verizon phone. It will cost me $.99/minute to make a call on the Verizon network. Can I purchase an international calling card in Europe and use it on my cell phone? I've read other posts about using calling cards from landlines and am wondering if they work the same from a cell phone. Thanks

Posted by
9363 posts

It won't save you any money, if that's what you are asking. When your phone is in use, you are using minutes on the network (just like calling an 800 number from your cellphone - it's a free call, but you are still using minutes). You might as well just call directly, or use a calling card on a landline.

Posted by
2193 posts

Don't use the card from your mobile phone...way too expensive. Use it from payphones and/or hotel phones that don't have any extra charges for using them (ask first). Just purchase a calling card online before you leave, print it off, and take it with you. Calls are cheap – something like 2 or 3 cents per minute from France to USA, for example. They normally round up to the next minute, but some will round up to the next 3 minutes, so watch which one you buy or you'll run out of minutes before you know it. Go to http://www.callingcards.com/ You can also purchase the same type of calling cards just about anywhere once you arrive.

Posted by
805 posts

Download Skype for your phone (if you have one that can handle Apps). That way you can do Skype calls from your phone to the US for cheap/free (free if calling another computer).