Please sign in to post.

International health insurance

I am hoping someone can guide me in this category. Our scenario is that we would like to live abroad and travel for part of the time in europe and part of the time in Mexico or south America. We would like to try it for a year and see how it goes. But my research on health insutance has been confusing. Wondering if anyone can steer me on the right direction for two early retired travelers wanting to get out of dodge!
Any advice on this topic would be helpful.

Posted by
23262 posts

Would you maintain your current US based health insurance? If you mean early as before medicare kicks in, then you need to check with your current coverage to see what might apply outside the US. Second there are other major insurance that will cover you year around outside the US. The one insurance we do carry on a year around basis is evacuation insurance that will return us to the US by best means possible to an appropriate hospital. That is to cover us for something like heart attack, stroke, serious accident, etc. The nickle dime stuff you can cover yourself because it is generally pretty cheap. Have you looked at insuremytrip or squarejaw?

Posted by
11174 posts

You should contact an insurance agent.

Trying to make this a DIY project could go really bad.

Posted by
14975 posts

I have had yearly policies with Travel Guard and Allianz. Both, if I remember correctly, required that my trips last no more than 90 days. But they may have other policies that would fit.

Posted by
246 posts

Last time I did research for long term travel, many bloggers recommended World Nomad for travel insurance. They have multiple plans based on the amount of coverage you want and you can buy it before or during travel. I haven’t used it myself so I can’t give a personal account but many people rave about them so they are worth checking out.

Posted by
15154 posts

Allianz and IMG are probably the top. I know US expats in Europe that have either and like the plans.
GeoBlue Global (part of BCBSA) and Cigna Global are also good options, I hear, especially if you plan part of your stay in the US.

Posted by
220 posts

100% recommend GeoBlue because they are affordable for various trips and destinations and also have an app that shows the doctors you can go to which take their insurance.

Posted by
4820 posts

Be sure to read the fine print about the med. evac. coverage regardless of the company. Some policies will only evacuate you to nearest appropriate medical facility. Others may return you to your home for further care. There is a company called MedJet Assist that you should check out. Just google it. It us NOT medical insurance. It is strickly evacuation back home. They have an annual plan as well as one for trips that last longer than 180 days.