Please sign in to post.

International drivers license

We will be in France and Greece. How important is getting an international drivers license?

Posted by
882 posts

Hi Andrea.
It's a "permit" not a "license" - obtained at your local AAA office for around $20. You will need a passport photo as it becomes part of the permit.
How important is it to have one? It is very important if, for some reason, you are stopped by local law enforcement. Your Oregon driver's license means nothing to them. I've been told some countries require it as a preliminary to renting a car - but I have not encountered that requirement.

Posted by
4069 posts

It is a requirement in Greece. In Athens the rental car company asked to see it and recorded my information from it before giving me the car. I don’t know if they all do or not.

Posted by
27091 posts

It's super easy to get the IDP, and it's cheap. Unless you are a very long drive from the nearest AAA office, why would you even consider not getting one? France has an official requirement for either the IDP or a French translation of your driver's license. Which would be easier? I think Greece also officially requires the IDP, but I haven't verified that.

Posted by
90 posts

I always get it when I know I will be driving in Europe. I did need it when renting a car in Germany. As the other responses said, it's only $20 dollars at any AAA office, and if you get stopped, you will be glad you have it.

Posted by
4069 posts

I will also add that in Texas I was able to get mine via mail and saved myself a 2 hour each way drive. Very easy.

Posted by
25 posts

Out of pure ignorance, I did not get an international driver's license and I rented cars in: England 3 times, Ireland 1 time, France 1 time, Germany 1 time, Austria 1 time, and Spain 1 time. I have never been asked for the International license. My Washington State License has worked. (in Spain I discovered that I forgot to renew my license -1 week after my birthday, and my license had expired. Luckily they let my wife rent the car despite the reservation in my name.)
Now that I know, I have to decide if I will get one before my next trip.

Posted by
27091 posts

It isn't just a matter of whether the rental agency will insist on seeing an IDP or some other document. They don't make any money if they don't rent you a car. It's not over until the trip is finished, you've returned the car, and you haven't been stopped by law enforcement people (randomly or otherwise). You needn't have done anything wrong; some other driver might be totally at fault, but if you're required to have an IDP and can't produce one, you may be hit with a major fine.

In addition, anyone contemplating going without an IDP in a country where they're mandatory should read every single insurance policy they plan to rely on super-carefully. Does it say something about being void if you do something in violation of the law?

Posted by
7343 posts

Better to get it and have it, but not need to show it, than to need it and not have it!

Posted by
4518 posts

In addition, anyone contemplating going without an IDP in a country where they're mandatory should read every single insurance policy they plan to rely on super-carefully. Does it say something about being void if you do something in violation of the law?

This statement is unsubstantiated. Has there ever been an instance of not having an IDP causing an insurance lapse? I didn’t think so.

Rick Steves recommends an IDP for Greece but not for France. Incidentally the IDP does not include the Greek language.

Posted by
27091 posts

There's boilerplate language in US car-rental contracts about CDW being void if you use the car in violation of the rental agreement (e.g., on unpaved roads) and I'm nearly certain there's something in there about illegal use as well. However, it has been quite a few years since I checked, and I've never rented a car in Europe.

Edited to add: I've also read you're in trouble if an unauthorized driver in your group (someone you haven't paid the extra fee for) is in the driver's seat at the time of an accident.

Posted by
32201 posts

Andrea,

I realize you've decided to get an IDP, but a few additional comments.....

Regarding France, the Embassy of France in the U.S. states, "You may drive with a valid U.S. driver’s license if it is accompanied by a notarized translation in French. It is strongly recommended that you carry an International Driving Permit. You must be 18 years of age or older to drive in France."

You will most definitely need to have an IDP for driving in Greece. If you're involved in a "traffic incident", especially one which involves injuries or substantial damage and don't have an IDP, you'll likely find yourself in a world of misery very quickly. If you don't have the Permit, you may be deemed to be driving without insurance and without a valid driver's license and therefore will be on the hook for all damages on your own. That scenario is mentioned in the second paragraph of this warning on the official U.S. Embassy site - https://gr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/driving-in-greece/ .

Posted by
11174 posts

5. Who May Drive The Car. You represent to Avis that you are a capable and *validly licensed driver** and will remain a capable and validly licensed driver throughout the term of your rental.

1. Prohibited Use of the Car. Certain uses of the car and other actions you or a driver may take, or fail to take, will violate the Rental Agreement. A VIOLATION OF THIS PARAGRAPH, WILL AUTOMATICALLY TERMINATE YOUR RENTAL AND IS AN EXCLUSION TO AND VOIDS ALL LIABILITY PROTECTION AND ANY OPTIONAL SERVICES THAT YOU HAVE ACCEPTED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO SUPPLEMENTAL LIABILITY INSURANCE, PERSONAL ACCIDENT INSURANCE, PERSONAL EFFECTS INSURANCE, ANY ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE PLAN, EMERGENCY SICKNESS PROTECTION AND LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER (LDW) OR PARTIAL DAMAGE WAIVER. IT ALSO MAKES YOU LIABLE TO US FOR ALL PENALTIES, FINES, FORFEITURES, LIENS AND RECOVERY AND STORAGE COSTS, INCLUDING ALL RELATED ATTORNEYS' FEES, LEGAL EXPENSES, FEES AND COSTS THAT WE MAY INCUR. It is a violation of this Paragraph if any of the following occurs: A. You use or permit the car to be used: by anyone other than an authorized driver, as defined in paragraph 5*

Above from Avis rental agreement.

For those who think an IDP is unnecessary, do you really want to get into a legal battle over the wording "validly licensed driver" ? (especially in a foreign country)

As for the 'lack of evidence' about something bad happening because one did not have an IDP, i suspect anyone who had it happen to them is not going to come to a public forum and admit they were idiots

Posted by
4518 posts

In this age where every appetizer served cold is posted on the internet, that there could be some huge financial issue festering in the traveling world occurring and affecting people in a major way but never posted and never mentioned by car rental staff is too far-fetched to believe.

Posted by
32731 posts

the same arguments every time. Obey or break the law, your choice. You have heard both sides.

Posted by
1232 posts

Last time I was in Italy, 2018, my husband and I both had to have an IDP to rent a car. Same when we were in Germany a couple years before. It is no big deal to get one.

Posted by
277 posts

We love driving on our vacations -- 3 weeks in Ireland in 2017, 3 weeks in France in 2018, and 3 more weeks in England and Scotland in 2019. We didn't have an IDP for any of those trips. We leave for France tomorrow and, thanks to this thread, we rushed to AAA and got our IDP today. $31 which included the photo. 20 Minutes to actually do it plus 35 minutes waiting. Thanks to everyone who provided links and information we hadn't seen before. Hopefully we won't need it but we feel better having it available.

Posted by
40 posts

I always get an IDP. Better to be safe than sorry. However, when we got hit by another car in Greece, the police had no interest in looking at my IDP, all they wanted to see was my US drivers license.