Please sign in to post.

International ATM fees

Hi all,

I just posted this question in the Italy forum and then realized it should have been directed to general Europe. I'm sure this subject has been covered in the past, but I can't find it. In the past we had a local bank that did not charge fees or international ATM withdrawals from our checking account, but that policy has changed. Therefore, we are looking for an alternative. We do have American Express and Capitol One that do not charge for credit card charges, but I'm looking for a bank that does not charge fees for ATM withdrawals. Any help is appreciated.

Linda

Posted by
12313 posts

For ATM's you want information regarding debit cards. There are a few free options left but, when I looked, they all had some sort of balance or specific account requirements that didn't make sense for me. The only one that comes to mind was a Charles Schwab brokerage account (though they may have changed and added fees since then). If the requirements work for you, great. If not, the next best thing is the many financial institutions that charge a low flat rate per transaction.

I settled on USAA, but there are lots of smaller banks and credit unions that charge the same. They charge one percent on each transaction, so it doesn't matter if I take 20 euro or 300 euro, I'll be charged one percent of the transaction only (.20 euro cents and 3 euros respectively). Contrast that to, say, Wells Fargo that charges (or did charge) $5 plus 3 percent. If I take 20 euro, the fee is $5 plus 60 euro cents. If I take 300 euro it's $5 plus 9 euro. The difference can add up.

As far as I know, alll banks run the transaction at the best exchange rate - so you don't have to worry about that like you would with an exchange booth.

Posted by
27615 posts

Capital One Bank is no-fee for ATM usage, as is my credit union. I'm not sure whether Capital One has a minimum-balance requirement. A credit union is less likely to have a significant minimum, so it's definitely worth a call to any local credit union you might qualify for.

Although it's true that most bank ATMs in Europe do not impose fees of their own, that is no longer 100% true, at least in Spain. Caixa Bank charges 5 euros per withdrawal, CX charges a percentage (seemed to be about 4.5%), and Burgos something-or-other also has a fee (I think it was 5 euros). So in Spain, at least, it's important to pay attention to every screen you see on the ATM. Just walk away if a fee is disclosed.

Posted by
10510 posts

Andrews Federal Credit Union charges no fee for withdrawing money, nor transaction fees on purchases. They require a $5 minimum balance.

Posted by
5837 posts

Actually a FAQ: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/cash-machine-atm-tips

Before you leave on your trip, confirm with your bank that your debit
card will work in Europe and alert them that you’ll be making
withdrawals while traveling — otherwise, they might freeze your card
if they detect unusual spending patterns.

ATM transactions made with bank-issued debit cards come with various
fees. Your bank may levy a flat $2–5 transaction fee each time you use
an out-of-network ATM, and/or may charge a percentage for the currency
conversion (1–3 percent), on top of Visa and MasterCard’s 1 percent
fee for international transactions.

I should add that while my local Credit Union is my FX ATM go to (1% transaction), I carry my bank ATM card (3%) as a back-up.

Most bank ATMs in Europe don’t charge a usage fee, but stay away from
“independent” ATMs, which have high fees and may try to trick users
with “dynamic currency conversion.” These ATMs (labeled with names
such as Travelex, Euronet, Moneybox, Cardpoint, and Cashzone) are
often found next to bank ATMs in the hope that travelers will be too
confused to notice the difference.

Check out Credit Unions and some on-line banks (e.g. Schwab) for low or no transaction fees/mark-ups:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/debit-card-foreign-transaction-international-atm-fees/#nofeefx

Posted by
11294 posts

If you live in an area serviced by TD Bank, they charge no foreign transaction fees for ATM use abroad. The basic checking account ($100 minimum) charges $3 per withdrawal, and the fancier checking account ($2500 minimum) charges nothing.

Also look into credit unions, as well as the options mentioned above.

Posted by
2535 posts

Recommend the Schwab Bank debit/ATM card with no fees to establish or maintain, no international transaction fees, for a couple each card with a unique number so if one compromised the other remains safely functional, no minimum withdrawal amounts, large maximum withdrawal amounts if needed and any ATM fees rebated monthly. Above combined with excellent customer service.

Posted by
68 posts

I second the Schwab recommendation for all the reasons Bruce gave. After using my Schwab debit card at ATMs in Spain and Italy, it will be my go-to for international trips.

Posted by
23546 posts

Credit union generally have low to no fees. Make some telephone calls.

Posted by
23 posts

Thank you all for your responses. Between this forum and another one, it was hands down between Charles Schwab and Capital one. We just opened a Schwab account. Thanks again.
Linda