Please sign in to post.

Iceland?

We are traveling to Scotland for a 12 day golf vacation in May 2017. Thinking about adding Iceland for the final 10 days. Your thoughts? Too many days? Not enough?
All ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. We are at the beginning stages of planning. Our flight dates are May 3 to LHR and returning to San Jose, CA on May 28.
Thanks very much!

Posted by
2533 posts

We had 10 days in Iceland this summer and drove the ring road around the island. We saw a lot but it was a little rushed. I would have loved to have had a few more days to explore.

Posted by
1873 posts

It really depends on what you plan to do. If you want to drive the ring road, then as Mary suggests you might feel rushed.

When I went to Iceland, I spent five nights in Reykjavik. I had a full day to explore the city (plus long evenings, since it never got dark in early June). I did three day trip tours (one Golden Circle, one Thórsmörk, and one Snæfellsnes peninsula), and on the last day I spent the day at the Blue Lagoon before flying home. It felt like a perfect amount of time.

Posted by
9141 posts

You can find lots of information about Iceland on the Trip Advisor forums and the Fodors forums.
Sadly, Rick doesn't feel that Iceland rates its own forum here or a guidebook.

Posted by
59 posts

I think Iceland would be a great idea for an extension to your Scotland vacation. My husband and I just spent a little over 2 weeks driving around the ring road this summer. 10 days would definitely not be long enough to really explore the ring road. I would suggest to spend a couple days in Reykjavik then rent a car and explore on your own outside of the capital to south Iceland.