Please sign in to post.

Iceland?

I see that Icelandair offers a free stopover in Iceland on their European routes. Anyone ever take advantage of this, and if so, any suggestions or recommendations for a day or two?

Posted by
4637 posts

Yes, I did it. From Seattle to Reykjavik then to Munich and back from Amsterdam to Seattle via Reykjavik. It was $300 cheaper than just Seattle Reykjavik round trip. Their tourist business is very well organized. Go to the Information Center in Reykjavik and choose your tours. They are very helpful and they come for you to your hotel. Don't skip Blue Lagoon. We stayed several nights in the city and one night at the hotel at Blue Lagoon.

Posted by
7051 posts

Yes, except I stayed for a week or so (and then came back on another trip, I loved it that much). Google the tourism website for Reykjavik - it's chockfull of info on what to do over such a short time period. You won't have time for anything else in just 1-2 days, so stick to Reykjavik.

Posted by
110 posts

There are a plethora of bus tour companies, most notably Grey Line and Reykjavik Excursions. We stopped over in late May for 48 hours and for our full day, took the Golden Circle Tour that included two hours at a local spa/hot springs. Well worth it.

Posted by
873 posts

Yes! We did this a couple of years ago -- spent 4 days in Iceland on our way to London. Iceland is breathtakingly beautiful and I highly recommend it. Reykjavik is a fairly small city, so it's totally walkable. Depending on time of year, you could either have a few hours of daylight or have it be light even near midnight. It's great for English-speaking tourists because nearly everyone speaks fluent English. Also, U.S. credit/debit cards are accepted everywhere, which makes all transactions super easy.

I also definitely recommend renting a car for at least a day or two and driving outside of Reykjavik. We just did it for one day and did the Golden Circle drive, but I would love to go back and see more of the country someday.

Posted by
15768 posts

I was in Reykjavik for 1.5 days on a cruise. There's lots to see and do in the city itself. I took a Grayline Golden Circle Tour from 6 pm - midnight (in June) that was excellent. There were few people on the tour and the other tour buses were leaving sights as we arrived. Got back in time to watch the sunset.

Posted by
53 posts

We haven't done a stopover but have taken a couple of Icelandair's package tours. Everything is well laid out for you. I love Iceland.

Posted by
185 posts

I will chime in with everyone else who says it's wonderful. I did a stopover in March of this year. I absolutely loved it and I can't wait until I get a chance to go back and see more of the country. The Blue Lagoon is close to the airport so we made that our first stop. It was a great opportunity to relax and take it easy on our first jet lagged day. I would also recommend the Golden Circle, it gives you a nice look at some of the different landscapes the country has. We had a car and so we did it ourselves but there are a number of tour companies who run excursions. Depending on the time of year I would recommend trying to do a northern lights excursion too. Ours didn't go because of weather, but we had no problem getting a refund.

Posted by
44 posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was really asking for my daughter who is planning a trip to Paris with her husband and two kids next July, and the option of a stopover in Iceland popped up. After looking more closely at Iceland as a destination, and all your good comments, I think my husband and I will plan our own trip for a week or two next summer.