Please sign in to post.

Iceland

I don't know where else to post, since Iceland doesn't show up as a country in the drop-down list. My husband and I and another couple are planning a visit to Iceland next May. We are limited to 10 days, but want to do some portion of the Ring Road at least. We probably are not interested in any strenuous or serious off-road kinds of activities, as we are seniors--albeit in fairly good physical shape. Still, we are mostly going there for the magnificent scenery, not athletic activities. I notice that there are tours that do the grand circle, but what I don't like about those (aside from our fiercely independent preference for travelling on our own) is that they skip from town and town, changing hotels mostly every night. I am trying to figure out how we could stay at two or three places outside of Reykjavik without having to do too much doubling back. I know I need to do some serious studying, but wondered if anyone who has done something similar might have some recommendations for us. Thanks!

Posted by
1864 posts

It's hard to understand how you can do what you're asking, which is essentially to drive a 1300 kilometer loop but not stay somewhere different each night and not double back.

If you look at a map of Iceland, you'll see that there are no alternate roads through the center of the country. Once you leave Reykjavik, you will have to return pretty much by the same route, unless you complete the loop.

There are some great day trips you can do out of Reykjavik if you don't want to change hotels. In addition to the Golden Circle, which is the most famous, you might consider a drive through the Snaefellsnes peninsula. If you want to spend a few days there, consider the Hotel Búdir.

I'd recommend doing some research online or getting a guidebook, reading about destinations and finding one or two that appeal to you, and figure out where you want to spend your time.

Iceland is beautiful, and you will love it. I was there in early June a few years ago and was lucky to have great weather the entire time. Hopefully May will be similar for you next year.

Posted by
1297 posts

I have been to Iceland, but did not do anything like you are thinking about. My only suggestion is to look into flights that go to other cities in Iceland. You could fly into Reykjavik and spend 1/2 your time in that area and then fly north to another town and make short trips up north. I know when I planned my trip, there were flights available to at least one other area of Iceland. In the end, we stayed south as we decided to only stay for 3 days. Lonely Planet has a good guidebook on Iceland,

Posted by
15980 posts

I was in Iceland last week. There is a lot to see off the ring road.

The Golden Circle tour, which as noted is the most popular, is a day tour to a handful of beautiful sights not on the ring road.

You could split your time between Reykjavik and another town and use those as bases for exploration.

Iceland is very expensive and there is construction going on everywhere in Reykjavik. Just be aware of that.