Please sign in to post.

Iceland?

Has anyone been to Iceland? I am looking at going in March to see the Northern Lights and could use suggestions for highlights/sights to see while I am there. I do not see anything on Rick's website about Iceland. Thanks!!

Posted by
3696 posts

I am thinking of going there also. I just looked up flights earlier today. I have a friend who lives there who is a photographer and I have heard it is amazing. Don't really know much about it yet, but as I find out a few more things I will try and post. I am thinking of going this Nov/Dec on my way to Europe Christmas Markets, so I have to get busy and figure out if I can make it work.

Posted by
8947 posts

There are a lot of posters over on Fodors that have visited Iceland, so perhaps have a look on that travel forum. Would love to visit there myself, looks fascinating with stunning scenery and a totally different culture.

Posted by
15591 posts

Bill Bryson wrote a book - Neither Here Nor There - about his first trip through Europe when he was about 19. He wrote it some 20 years later. I don't recommend the book, but I do remember that he spent 2 or 3 weeks somewhere in or near Lappland, hanging out, waiting to see the Northern Lights. He had decided to leave the next day, having given up on it and bored with the small town, lack of daylight, etc etc. That night he got to see them. So I wish you good luck and hope you get to see them.

Posted by
6 posts

I've been there. I went in the middle of June near summer solstice and LOVED IT. I went for 6 days. Day 1 was ATV'ing on the volcanic landscape and going to the Blue Lagoon. Day 2 was ice climbing and hiking a glacier. Day 3 was exploring Rekjavik. Day 4 was caving and scubadiving in the rift valley. Day 5 was snowmobiling on a glacier on an active volcano. day 6 was horseback riding and visiting a geothermal power plant. Use the Frommers and Lonely Planet guidebook. See these guys for arranging adventures: http://www.adventures.is/ I used Greyline tours oneday also. They were good. their independence day is June 17th (I think, please verify)... they had some cool concerts in the town squares in Reykjavik. I HIGHLY recommend staying at the Salvation Army Guesthouse.... book early.

Posted by
6 posts

Also, 6-7 days is more than enough. Combine the trip with 2-days in NYC before catching a plane to Iceland. Purchase your tickets direct from Iceland Air; don't go through expedia; it will force you to go to Europe first. Iceland air flys to NYC, boston, and a few other cities in the US.

Posted by
524 posts

Spent 8 nights in Iceland last April and absolutely loved it. Was only supposed to be 5 nights, but the wind shifted and blew the volcano plume across Iceland and closed the airport for an extra 3 days. One of the best things that ever happened to me on vacation. Since you live in Portland, you might be interested in flying from Seattle - nonstop to Reykjavik (actually, Keflavik). Spend time walking around Reykjavik, but also try to get outside the city. You'll need to buy a package or rent a car to do so, and car rental is expensive. But worth it for a day or two. Be aware that there is no guarantee that you will actually see the Northern Lights. On the other hand, chances are better in March than many other times of the year. Go for it.

Posted by
881 posts

Icelandair also has a great deal with layovers in Iceland at no extra charge. Length varies from 3-7 days (seems to change with mood), but it's a very cool way to spend a day or two in London, Paris, etc on your trip (Norway)? Without a lot of additional cost. Icelandair also runs some pretty good hotel deals on their site. Check it out!

Posted by
241 posts

Iceland is beautiful! Very chilled, laid back restaurant/bar culture that appears to start late at night. People are lovely. You'll be able to sign up for some island tours at tourist office - there are some classic waterfalls, area of old parliament, place where east and west tetonic plates meet. You can go onto glaciers and visit Icelandic pony farms. Historic food is worth a try for the experience, along with the (very strong) schnapps like drink. Basically, it's an essential place to go! - we LOVED it.

Posted by
110 posts

Definitely go! I was there in early April and it was already too late to see the Northern Lights, if that is essential consider going in Dec/Jan as your chances of seeing the Northern Lights are better. It's a wonderful destination even it you don't see the Northern Lights, there's enough to do near Rekjavik to keep you busy for 4 - 6 days.

Posted by
1 posts

I was there in October 2011. LOVED it, I would go again! But no northern lights. It's not something that occurs every night.
I would suggest not buying into a NL tour unless the weather report for that night is guaranteed to be clear. If you haven't checked it out already, check out www.spaceweather.com. They have daily updates on NL & other things in space.