Please sign in to post.

Iceland

Hi

Is Iceland in March a good idea? What are the chances of catching northern lights around this time?

Posted by
255 posts

Note that chances of aurora sighting at a particular location depend on several factors. I’ve counted 8. Some you can control and some you can’t. If any one of those factors does not cooperate, chances of sighting will be limited. Aurora sightings are never guaranteed even on the clearest, darkest nights.

Personally I’d go to a website with easy-to-read science and prediction pages to get an understanding of the factors, and then try to optimize for my situation. Examples I’ve seen are www.aurorahunter.com/science.html and www.theaurorazone.com/about-the-aurora/the-science-of-the-northern-lights. (I am not affiliated with either and don’t care if you buy their products or not.) I hope you have a pleasant trip and get some great pictures. Please post here to tell us how it worked out.

Posted by
16247 posts

I used to I
Live in Fairbanks, Alaska, and would rely on the Geophysical Institute for forecasts as they could monitor solar activity. Predictions are pretty good within three days, but even if there is an active Aurora you may not see it due to clouds.

Here is the predictor page of their website; I have set it to include Iceland.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/NorthPolar/20180219

You can use the links on the right to read more, including the Travelers Guide toseeing the Aurora. They mention March during the dark of the moon as the best time to try.

Posted by
105 posts

Hi

Thanks for the informative responses guys! Ive been reading in alot of places that its best to go for at least 7 days to be able to have the highest chances of catching the lights. If I do go in March I cant go for more than four days so is it a better idea to postpone for later till maybe September so I could possibly go for longer?

Posted by
105 posts

Also one more question

it seems like most of the people rent cars in iceland for their trips?
Is it hard to do the trip if you're not driving?

Posted by
14992 posts

If you don't want to rent a car but want to see the Northern Lights, there are tour companies that offer evening trips. They keep an eye on the lights' chance of being seen and the weather. If there is low probability, they don't go. If they do go, they check the weather to try to decide where would be the best place to view them. And finally, if you do go but no lights can be seen, you can go another night for free.

Posted by
3110 posts

I was in Reykjavik this past December.
I booked my N. Lights tour for my second night there, and the tour company cancelled it and rebooked it for the following night, as the weather report was not good.
We did see the lights the night we went.
So the trick is to book your tour for a night as early in your trip as possible, then you have a few more nights to take it in case it is cancelled.