Please sign in to post.

hotels in London

I have not been to London before, even tho I am fairly well traveled. Rick Steeves books always go with me.
Do you know of any cheap hotels that would be OK for a single older woman in London & close to the main tourist area and/or public trans? What is the best area to stay in? Any other hints? I'll be traveling in late April or May. Thanks for all and any recommendations.

Posted by
11507 posts

Ola, I don't know what you consider affordable,, but as a solo lady I have stayed in the Kensington Base2Stay hotel ,, and thought it was lovely. Within walking distance of two tube stations, two grocery stores( very convenient as rooms have small kitchenettes) and two wonderful museums( Victoria and Albert, one of my all time faves) and the Natural History Museum. It cost me about 90 GBPs two years ago, for a really nice single . Small , but nice clean big washroom, fluffy down duvet on a over size single bed, tv, a/c and as I said a min kitchenette. I would often eat lunch out, but sometimes in evening after a long day of touring about it was nice to just reheat something I picked up at grocers, they have good selections of take away and frozen etc.

Posted by
11507 posts

Oh forgot, there was a Premier Inn( a decent chain hotel) about a block down same street as the Base2Stay,, I would check it out, as location is obviously good, and I think you may get a better rate there, I know I would check it out for next time for myself. That would be the Premier Inn Kensington.

Posted by
9122 posts

Vancouver Studio Apartments in Bayswater. Prince's Square. Stayed there off and on over the years. Close to Paddington station Safe, small kitchenette's, flatscreen TV's, 2 nearby tube stops, main bus routes on Bishop's Gate and Westbourne Roads, many cafes, markets and even a mall to explore in the neighborhood. Hyde Park, The Orangery within walking distance. Helpful staff. Check Tripadvisor reviews.
Caveat, steep interior stairs, no elevator. Pack light.

Posted by
1010 posts

My husband and I have also stayed in the South Kensington area, three times, in the past three years. We totally enjoyed staying at the Crowne Plaza (part of the Holiday Inn chain). You earn Priority Club points for staying there, which go towards your next hotel stay in the chain. It is directly across the street from the Gloucester tube staion. It was very convenient to be picked up for our Gray Line day tours also. The hotel is in a preferred area of London. It is only one tube stop aways from Harrod's dept. store. You can walk to the Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park from the hotel.

Posted by
42 posts

Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions.....I am still looking since now my son is joining me and we will be going late May....I want only one room, but with 2 beds and a little space or separte alcove...any more ideas???
Thanks again....

Posted by
11507 posts

Well,, good luck with that, i find most rooms small and the idea of seperate space hard to imagine. I stayed in a rather expensive( for me) hotel in Paris with my 14 yr old son and found our two twin beds were pushed together ,, he ended up pushing it as far away as he could,, but , yeah,, rooms are tight. If son is old enough to work( you said older single woman so assume you are at least over 50) then suggest he pay for upgrade to get the biggest room possilbe. If son is young and you are paying, tell him tough..