Please sign in to post.

hotels in Italy

I would like to know before I settle in for a snooze if there is a chance I'll be bitten by bedbugs. Is there a reliable source for this type of information?

Posted by
9110 posts

Bedbugs.net. Note there are more complaints about Las Vegas than there are about Italy.

Posted by
32171 posts

Betty, There's always a chance of bedbugs in ANY part of the world, including in the most posh hotels. However, I've never had a problem with that anywhere in Italy. BTW, you may want to delete your other two Threads on this topic so that you can keep all replies in the same place.

Posted by
32519 posts

You. Pick up your mattress and look. I've never had the problem in years of traveling, including Italy, north, middle, south, west, east. It can happen anywhere, usually brought in by previous guests, or yourself from the bus, or plane.

Posted by
2 posts

I realize that this can happen anywhere in the world and has little to do with the housekeeping. No country is exempt and no country is any worse than others. I think we can all agree that however they got there, bedbugs do not make very pleasant companions.
I merely wanted to know, and perhaps I should have asked bluntly, if the reviews of hotels on other websites (Expedia, Hotels.com, Trip Advisor, Kayak, etc.) can be trusted with regard to this problem. Is there a website that keeps track of and verifies reports?

Posted by
11613 posts

In my experience, the easiest way to ruin a hotel's business is to post about bedbugs, so no, I don't think these sites are reliable (unless you see a dozen posts about the same problem).

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Betty. I wouldn't discount reviews of hotels. It's worth a look to see if anyone posted anything about bedbugs. I stayed in a hotel in Chicago about a month ago and found a bedbug on my pillow. When I brought it to the attention of the desk staff, they didn't seem concerned. One of them even told me it wasn't a bedbug because "they're bigger than that." I posted a review of the hotel on Tripadvisor which included my finding of the bug and the reaction of the staff. I'd want to know if anyone found bedbugs in a place I was considering!

Posted by
2527 posts

..."unless you see a dozen posts about the same problem." How many folks experienced the same problem and didn't post a review?