Please sign in to post.

Hotel reservations

We are flying into Brussels for a conference in Gent on July 1 and then will have 2 weeks to travel, hoping to spend time hiking in the French Alps area. We do not like to make reservations as we like to hit the areas off the main highways, sightseeing and experiencing the local without the constraints of meeting a reservation. Is it reasonable to think we will be able to find places to stay without reservations during the peak summer season? We are not picky about where we stay, in fact the more local and less fancy the better. We will have a rental car for the 2 week period.

Posted by
802 posts

While I don't have specific expreince in the French alps, I would recommend that you try getting some reservations, if possible at this late date. Venere.com and booking.com cover lots of places in areas well of the main roads. We like to stay off the beaten path and 35 years ago we usually only had resrvations for the first and last night of the trip but the internet has changed things and gradually we have changed over to reserving almost everything and enjoyng the peace of mind that comes from knowing that we will have a roof over our heads and we don't have to bea at a destination before 3:00 to start looking. On the up side you will have a car which gives you the flexibility to go hunting for a place. On the down side, you can fritter away a lot of time looking. Also on the down side it is my wife's firm opinion that, when things are really tight, all to often the only place that will have an open room is the most expensive one around. I wish you hte best of luck and a grat trip.

Posted by
23341 posts

You will be fine.. The two key words-not picky and not fancy. The local TI will be very helpful.

Posted by
11507 posts

If you have a rental car you will be fine, there are always hotels off the highways, they are often chain types, but clean and inexpensive.. good for one nighters anyways . In destination towns, it may be a bit trickier, but you can always find something.

Posted by
1633 posts

Like others have said, since you'll have a rental car you can go off the main road and find something in a small town. You could go online and see what towns on your route may have lodging. Usually, in touristy areas, you should have no problem. Check a town's website for accommodations by using this format: www.town-name.country-code Example would be www.beaune.fr Have a great trip!

Posted by
4535 posts

With a car, you are right that you can always find something somewhere. In my experience, that has ranged from quite acceptable to the worst place I've ever stayed in, ever! Absolutely disgusting. So you take your chances. The other thing I dislike about going on the fly, is that it can eat up so much time. If you're lucky and you get the first place or two you try, great. But otherwise you spend a chunk of your vacation time driving around looking for a place to stay. With the internet I now take a combo approach. I like to reserve a day or two ahead once I know my plans. I can search and reserve online at night in the hotel. Then I just show up and know I have a place to stay.

Posted by
518 posts

If you have a computer or some such device with you, you also have the option of booking as you go if you see it is hard to get rooms the same day.