Please sign in to post.

hostels.

is it a must for booking hostels to have a credit card? Do you recommend booking hostels online, or by phone(if i book them days before when im already in europe like suggested instead of months in advance)? Because then im assuming ill be spending a lot of money and time on phone calls..

Posted by
5 posts

Brittany, you will need a credit card or debit card to book these hostels. If you are booking days in advance (especially in the high season, and on weekends in the low season) then you will have to call.

Most hostels only release a certain ammount of their beds for online bookings. The rest (anywhere from 50% to 10%) they leave for phone reservations and walk-ins.

Yes, you will waste a lot of time and money on phone calls. I have done a few trips backpacking through Europe, some booked completly with reservations and some with only a few reservations. When you do all the planning before hand, that means you have less hassle in Europe and you can spend more time having fun. But if you book all your reservations, then you can't be spontanious which is the whole point of traveling right?

Posted by
51 posts

exactly the point. im trying to do as much research of places to stay before i go as i can. im just worried about booking them. ive got all these things going through my head, like if they dont speak english on the phone, haha.. i want to be booking them online more than phoning, but im worried that by leaving to just days in advance that ill end up having to stay somewhere unconvienant and dirty.

Posted by
5 posts

Luckily, I have found a great tactic. This past summer I booked hostels for the majority of my trip. I've traveled with no reservations before and it seemed like I spent way too much time trying to find someplace to stay.

I found that booking everything in advance didn't really hinder my flexibility. If I decided I wanted to stay someplace longer I would just call and cancel the reservation for one night in the next city. I maybe lost $50 is cancellation fees, but that was worth it!

Posted by
5 posts

I am all for flexibility, and that worked great when I was travelling in un-touristed areas (like the Middle East and parts of Eastern Europe). Unfortunatly Wester/Central Europe is filled with tourists, no matter the season.

My favorite website for hostel booking is hostelworld.com if you are going to be making a lot of bookings it is worth it to get a membership (otherwise they charge you a booking fee.

Gomio.com is great, it has no booking fee but fewer hostels are listed.

hostelz.com has some helpful reviews but DO NOT use as a booking tool!