Please sign in to post.

hostel booking

I am backpacking in europe this summer and want to know how far in advance i should be booking hostels or if i can expect to find them upon arrival in the different areas, or get away with booking them a few days in advance once i am there?

Posted by
1568 posts

We stayed in many hostels during our 8 week trip. I used Bug Europe and Hostelz to research and viewed the reviews.

I emailed the hostels and made reservations and printed copy of the confirmation and took with me. Printed a copy of the hostel's homepage which would show the address and telephone #. Many hostels will indicate the nearest train station...if not I asked.

I also printed a copy of the homepage of a backup hostel....just in case.

Not once did we have to pay in advance.

Write down on your confirmation how many days in advance the hostel wants you to reconfirm your reservation.

We had no problems.

Posted by
1568 posts

Bug Europe and Hostels links:

http://www.bug.co.uk/reviews/hostels/Europe/index.htm

http://www.hostelz.com

My advice would be to take a travel towel plus a small travel towel to cut up for wash clothes, silk sleep sheet, flip flops for shower shoes, travel clothes line (we took 2) for hanging your clothes to dry and a combination lock for the lockers some provide.

Look at the silk sleep sheet and travel towel at the Rick Steves' Travel Store.

Posted by
14530 posts

I would say that depends on how popular the city or that and specific hostel you want to stay at is. Last summer I stayed in 5 hostels on a trip of over nine weeks, two of them were independent hostels...Wombat's in Vienna and Munich, both of which I had reserved in advance on-line because I really wanted to stay there instead of some other place and knew they're popular. The other 3 hostels were part of DJH in Germany, part of HI. The ones in the big cities, such as Dresden, I didn't have to reserve but did anyway, just to get in on those two days.

I do recommend Wombat's highly...they live up to their reputation.

Posted by
590 posts

If you are picky like me I would reserve. The highly rated hostels can book up fast as there is a good reason why they are highly rated.

I always looked for hostels that either provided free linen and towels or you could rent them (very cheap). Never needed to waste space in my backpack with a towel and sleep sheet. Combination lock is a must. I like the hostels that have a laundromat in it.

I booked all my hostels ahead of time (2 months) as I knew my itinerary and I am a compulsive planner! I saw many people turned down in Prague, Munich and Vienna as they were full.