Please sign in to post.
Posted by
6660 posts

So the poorly-behaved bring their habits with them when they travel. Remarkable.

Seems like an effort at journalism by someone who has run out of material, published by a dying news network.

Posted by
32213 posts

joe,

I did check to see if this subject had already been posted, but didn't see it.

"So the poorly-behaved bring their habits with them when they travel. Remarkable."

Some people only seem to misbehave when they're on holidays, but wouldn't engage in that sort of behaviour at home.

Posted by
8947 posts

I have read similar articles from numerous news sources, so not really an article from a dying news source, from a journalist who has run out of things to write about.

Why not blame instagram or tik-tok with all their "influencers" trying for likes and subscribers, which ups their income?

Posted by
7380 posts

I got “blocked” trying to bring up the link in phred’s post, and am still blocked here with Ken’s link.

Suffice to say that there are plenty of good and kind people anywhere, or at least who don’t behave terribly, but there are more folks with bad behavior than necessary. May everybody’s next trip have more good people than bad.

Posted by
17985 posts

Cyn, beautiful

Suffice to say that there are plenty of good and kind people anywhere,
or at least who don’t behave terribly, but there are more folks with
bad behavior than necessary. May everybody’s next trip have more good
people than bad.

Posted by
6660 posts

I have read similar articles from numerous news sources...

The similarity between the pointless, brainless, gossipy content of "influencers" and the content penned by MANY of today's so-called educated and professional journalists is an excellent point that supports my comments. Too many in this once-respected line of work embrace fluff and pablum over the consequential - and their similarly underprincipled colleagues copy them.

Posted by
741 posts

As long as bad behavior is not sanctioned to a degree that is a deterrent then it will all continue. If I think that the penalty for going into the Trevi fountain for a picture is $50, I simply weigh that possible cost against my desire for a picture. If I am an instagrammer hoping for more view, maybe that possible $50 is worth it to me.
Lets face it, not only are sanctions too low, but they are also not likely to be paid anyway. Overseas tourist. How do you enforce? Authorities talk big and then the tourist goes home and that's that.
Most of us do not do these things because we have internal ethics whereby, we would not even think of doing them. However, there are so many people who do not.
I expect none of this will improve.
Those of us on the forum would be anxious and probably eager to pay a traffic fine while driving in Europe. It hangs over our heads.
In instances of bad behavior as referenced in the article, frankly, those people don't give a sh*t. In fact, they would revel in their transgression.

Posted by
17985 posts

Those of us on the forum would be anxious and probably eager to pay a
traffic fine while driving in Europe.

I have actually seen threads to the contrary. A lot of entitlement here too. A lot of selective following of the laws going on. Okay, probably less than the general public but any amount makes me .....

Posted by
5274 posts

Those of us on the forum would be anxious and probably eager to pay a traffic fine while driving in Europe. It hangs over our heads

On the contrary, most of the posts I've read on here either claim that it's a scam or ask whether there would be any comeback if they ignored the fine.