Please sign in to post.

Honeymoon Itinerary Suggestions in Sept 2022- Croatia or Malta and surrounding countries?

My partner (Croatian-Canadian) and I (Canadian) are planning a destination wedding in Porec, Istria, Croatia in mid-September. We have 5 days after arriving in Zagreb to explore Istria area before our wedding, and then we have 11 days after that we can't decide where to go next!
Are five days enough to explore Istria area, or should we stay in the region after the wedding? We have already visited much of Dalmatia on a previous trip (including Zagreb, Dubrovnik, Korcula, Split, Zadar, Vis, Hvar) so were looking at driving /ferrying to Kvarner Bay Islands or Koronati islands for the 11 remaining days. We are unsure if there is enough to do on the northern coast at this time as it is approaching the end of the September and summer season. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated! We are looking to relax at resort-like areas, beautiful coast, swimming, culture, and good food.
Another idea we had is to take a short flight from Zagreb and spend a week in a new area like Malta. We do not know much about that region and coast - is it more picturesque to just stay on the Croatian Coast? Maybe I'm missing some other obvious nearby places to visit from Istria region?

Posted by
2300 posts

Slovenia! You can enjoy the coast at Trieste. Then spend a few days in Ljubljana. Lake Bled is gorgeous and you may catch some beautiful fall leaves at that time of year.

Posted by
4220 posts

I liked Malta, and it has interesting historical (and prehistoric) sites, but I don't think it holds a candle to the natural beauty of Croatia.
I think five days is pretty good for Istria. You could spend a few more after the wedding, then spend the rest on Cres and Losinj, which are indeed wildly beautiful. If you like nature activities, you'll be fine. I think the chances for good weather would be good, but one can never predict!
Another idea, what about Italy? Check ferry options--I think some of them are seasonal. Wrapping up a honeymoon in Venice and environs sounds good to me!

Posted by
387 posts

I just did six nights in Malta and am so glad I did. It was absolutely gorgeous. Very different from Croatia, much more N. Africa influence mixed in with the amazing natural beauty. I might suggest splitting 11 days half in Sicily if you haven’t been there and half in Malta. I did three days just exploring Valletta, then rented a car and drove around Malta and Gozo. It was amazing!!

Posted by
2119 posts

We liked Malta but I wouldn't describe it as a resort-like area with a beautiful coast, swimming, etc.

The Kvarner gulf islands look gorgeous. Or just up the Adriatic coast from Porec are three lovely Slovenia seaside towns (Izola, Piran and Koper). Any of these would seem to be an ideal honeymoon setting.

Posted by
14 posts

I'd choose Croatia - there are a lot of costlines to walk together. very romantic

Posted by
3039 posts

I'd stick to Croatia, Slovenia, B-H. Also some of Hungary and Austria if you run out of things to do.

I'd consider Ljubljana for 3 nights (stay in Hostel Celica, a converted prison, where all the rooms are jail cells)
Then I'd go to Beograd, Serbia - 4 hour train ride. You can stay in Hotel Moskva, in the same room as Maxim Gorky had in 1922. In 2019, we paid 160/night with breakfast there. Great sauna too.
Finish up at Sarajevo.