Please sign in to post.

Hinting at 2021 Tours?

Here's a quote from the January Travel News:

While we commit ourselves to staying safe and healthy, I hope all of us can feel comfortable looking ahead and resurrecting travel plans that COVID-19 scuttled in 2020. And if a Rick Steves bus tour is part of those plans, I can promise you won't regret it. Our guides, hoteliers, and bus drivers are standing by as soon as Europe is safe and stable enough to reliably host a return of tourism.

Here's to leaving 2020 in the dust and to a much better 2021!

Hmmmm.......

Posted by
3822 posts

Yes, at last Monday’s travel class Rick sounded optimistic.

Posted by
4080 posts

I'm certainly not going to get in the way of anyone's optimism.

Posted by
2943 posts

I would suspect one might be more optimistic once they have the vaccine, as it may be a requirement to enter certain countries.

Posted by
6113 posts

The U.K. is ahead of most of Europe with its vaccination programme. It’s anticipated that I will receive my second dose by the summer. I can’t see bus tours or cruises resuming this year.

Posted by
7330 posts

It says “Standing By.” As in poised, prepared, waiting for a “Go.”

As for a much better 2021, it could hardly be worse than 2020, but for “much better,” that would certainly suggest travel activity projected sone time in 2021.

Posted by
2468 posts

I think there’s more optimism in the air that some travel will be possible later this year. I hope to do the RS tour of the Loire and South France in October. If /when he takes deposits, then I will be in line. Otherwise I’m content to wait until 2022.

If RS tours don’t run, then I will likely do London, Cotswolds, York and Paris in September with 2 weeks time. Or, maybe just stick to England.
Or Paris and Provence.
I’m too lethargic to do any actual planning, I can only seem to manage some dreaming and occasionally pulling out a map.
Rick’s Monday Night Travel evenings are the best! They are keeping me going.

Posted by
7330 posts

And if RS bus tours DON’T happen, with the guarantee that no one will regret it, there must be some incredible virtual events on the horizon!

Posted by
17871 posts

It will be very interesting to see how it plays out. What ever happens I am certain it will be well considered and logical.

The financial, physical and emotional cost of travel right now can be > pretty high. Gives room for a lot of thought before moving forward with any plans. For me, long haul travel is off the table for the time being.

Posted by
991 posts

I am with Jennifer. I don't see buses/cruises happening this summer. I could be wrong, very wrong, but the rest of Europe, besides the UK, is having a very different roll out with the vaccines. At current rates, some countries will be far behind on vaccine schedules. Perhaps an independent visit might be doable and Iceland may be an area open to visitors with negative covid results or proof of vaccine. But here's to a much better 2021! and I am going to be one of the first people to sign up for a Rick Steves tour in 2022. I have found peace with that goal in mind.

Posted by
7330 posts

BigMike, if RS is hinting at a phenomenal 2021 and travel products aren’t going to be literal, then virtual must be in the cards, and fantastic, right?

Maybe Rick’s going to have tremendous new travel videos, but with a Scratch ‘n Sniff feature! Maybe some other, unprecedented bonus, who knows?

Yeah, though, actual travel would be preferable.

Posted by
374 posts

Planning NYC for Labor day then Europe right after. In 6 weeks I will be fully vaccinated and my immune system would have produced the maximal amount of antibodies. Already planning beach trip for late March. Not letting this virus take more than one year of my freedom. I did my part for others for a year, now its time for people to do for themselves.

How exactly would we prove to the Europeans that we have been vaccinated? Think of the headache we had to go through just to get vaccinated, how much more to provide proof? Best case scenario by late summer early fall deaths and hospitalizations are down.

From the literature it looks like antibodies seem to wane 3 months after the 2nd dose, so very likely this will become annual vaccine and covid-deaths will be no more shocking than flu-deaths past 2022.