Please sign in to post.

Help with itinerary for September 2022

I've been an avid reader of this forum for several years and have received much needed advice but this is my first time posting. I am trying to plan a trip to Europe in September of this year for my husband and myself. We were in Europe 2019 and visited Prague, Budapest, Salzburg, Vienna and Munich. Our scheduled return was cancelled due to covid in 2020 and 2021. We are so ready to head back! Here are a few of my questions? Where to go? With all the Covid rules/regulations changing on a daily basis, I'm thinking one country, perhaps two, may be the easiest (or not, who knows)?! We are vaccinated and boosted and actually as of right now, both of us are recovering from our break through case. We will have a little over 2 weeks for the trip. I was thinking Ireland or Scotland? Italy? We like to immerse ourselves in the culture, eat great food, walk the towns, day trips on the train, visit museums etc. We also like staying in small boutique hotels. My husband is really into WW2......
We had planned to go to Amsterdam, Bruges, Paris. Thankfully, everything I had booked was refundable. I know this is vague and generalized but any ideas appreciated! I know most on this forum have traveled much more so looking forward to your opinions.

Posted by
6113 posts

The boosters will probably need boosting again by September! I would stick to one country to make keeping on top of Covid regulations easier.

The weather should be ok in September for all your options and all will offer you some of your interests, although there will be less WW2 stuff in Ireland. Orkney has an interesting WW2 history and is a stunning place to visit if you opted for Scotland. Two weeks or so could cover Edinburgh, Stirling, Falkirk, Orkney and Inverness.

Posted by
49 posts

Thank you Jennifer. You are so right about the booster! I will explore the places you mentioned in Scotland.

Posted by
3904 posts

September is a perfect time to visit Poland, fascinating culture, great food, walkable towns, day trips easily done on the train/bus, great museums, and what country has been more affected by the Second World War than Poland. Gdansk in Poland has arguably the best WWII museum in Europe, which tells the story of the war from a global perspective.

Outside of a difficult 20th century, Poland has a rich and varied history stretching back over 1000 years, of medieval towns, castle ruins, and royal Baroque cities. With a little over 2 weeks one can do a nice "Best of Poland" itinerary, just to give a bit of an idea:

Warsaw (4 nights)
|
Torun (2 nights)
|
Gdansk (3 nights) - daytrip to Malbork Castle (largest in Europe)
|
Gniezno "Birthplace of Poland" (2 nights) - daytrip to the Iron Age settlement of Biskupin
|
Wroclaw (3 nights) - daytrips to the Churches of Peace in Świdnica and Książ Castle
|
Kraków (4 nights) - day trip to Zakopane in the Tatra Mountains

Posted by
865 posts

Ireland and Scotland are great and two weeks would be about right for a first visit to either... Italy again two weeks would be about right to be seduced into another longer trip. But, for a single country trip that might appeal to your husband uniquely, I would suggest France. Big enough - Food - Boutique Hotels - Smaller walkable cities and towns - World War II - Normandy, the Bulge - Cultural Diversity (N vs S vs Paris) - Excellent public transportation. You didn't mention wine - but maybe there is a little. I will also mention that there are many, many WW i/WW II tour operators, which allows one/two day trips from Paris and other localities with logistics handled by others. Send him off and do a separate Chateau tour yourself? Versailles, Giverny? Have fun.

Posted by
49 posts

Thank you for all the replies so far. I did not even have Poland on my radar. Will for sure look into it. And wine is always good!

Posted by
6640 posts
Posted by
3904 posts

I did not even have Poland on my radar. Will for sure look into it.

Glad to have piqued your interest! I've noticed this phenomenon on the RS forum, it's off the radar for many Americans, but it's quite the gem, very affordable, and those who have went are always pleasantly surprised :)

Posted by
2948 posts

If your trip to Amsterdam, Bruges and Paris were postponed why not go at a later date? If your husband is into WWII history then FR may be the answer. I understand going to one country instead of three at this time but you can easily spend several months in FR and never be bored.
How long are you going to be in Europe? Do you plan on getting around by public transit or renting a car?

Posted by
49 posts

France is definitely on our radar. As for how to get around......not sure. Public transportation? We are not opposed to renting a car if necessary. Also let me add that while he is interested in WW2, that will not be focus of the whole trip. There is only so much WW2 info that I can absorb and appreciate!
Thanks again for all the replies so far. I love to hear everyones opinions. Gives me much to ponder......

Posted by
2948 posts

Hey Ginger I hear you about WWII history, I too can only take so much. However, one full day exploring Port Winston Artificial Harbor and the WWII Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial are well worth it.
When your husband wants to do something that doesn’t interest you visit the famous medieval tapestry in Bayeux (great place to base yourself too).

Posted by
6640 posts

Also let me add that while he is interested in WW2, that will not be
focus of the whole trip. There is only so much WW2 info that I can
absorb and appreciate!

I wouldn't try to build an enjoyable European itinerary around WW II either.

The reason you have received an abundance of suggestions for WW II stuff is probably not because any of us thinks you should actually visit all these places over two weeks. It's because the WW II, unlike your general interests such as "great food, walking, museums and culture", is the only really specific interest you gave us to work on. You'll probably get a better mix of suggestions with some more specific cues - for example, what sorts of museums might get your attention? Are you into impressionist painters? Vintage automobiles? Carp? (Probably not... but I do happen to know of a museum dedicated to this lowly creature.)