Please sign in to post.

Help with itinerary

I will be traveling with my 2 Aunts to Europe at the end of August into September for 17 days and of course 2 of those 2 days are taken up by travel from Newark, NJ. We are flying into Paris for 2 nights , Strasbourg for 1 night, Munich for 1 night, Fussen (Kind Ludwigs castles and palaces) 2 nights, Vienna 2 nights, Prague 3 night, and Budapest 3 nights. I plan on doing all evening, night, or sleeper trains. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am currently in the process of planning the whole trip out. Any suggestions on adding a night in one city and taking a night away in another. We have all picked different cities that we would like to see. We are very interested in castles, palaces, squares, for museums we just want to see the Louvre.

Any hotel suggestions???

Paris sites, Louvre, Versailles, Montmartre, Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, Sainte Chapelle, Patheon, Luxembourg Gardens, Norte Dame Catheral

Strasbourg sites: La Petite France, Les point couverts, Cathedral, Palais de rohan

Munich sites: Nymphenburg Palace, Marienplaz Church of St. Peter, New Town City Hall

Fussen sites: Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, Linderhof

Vienna Sites: Schonbrunn Palace, Belvedere Palace, St. Charles Church, St Stephen Cathedral, Imperial Palace (Hofburg Palace), Hoher Markt

Prague Sites: Prague Castle, Charles Bridge, Old Town (Old Town Hall and Astronomical Clock, the Carolinum, the Municipal House and the Estates Theater), Church of the Virgin Mary, Old- New Synagogue, Old Jewish Cemetery, Lesser Quarter

Budapest: Parliament, St. Stephens Basilica, Opera House, Central Synagogue, Castle Hill, Buda Castle, Matthias Church, Chain Bridge, Fishermans Bastion, Vajahunyad Castle, Heros Square, Varosliget, Great Market Hall

Posted by
527 posts

Yikes! Others will chime in and tell you this is way too much. I would trim this down to a lot fewer cities (make a list of three or four that come out on the top). An example is Vienna...2 days...you won't even scratch the surface! Paris for 2 nights? Your trip as stands will be a blur.

Posted by
3392 posts

Here are my thoughts...
First of all, sleeper trains are not all that comfortable in my opinion. They are quite loud, the beds can be narrow, and all the starting and stopping throughout the night with people getting on and off is not restful.
The other thing to consider if you are relying on trains as your hotel, even for a few nights, is that you will need somewhere to store your baggage for the days you will not have a hotel that night or for the days when you arrive after a night on the train and can't check in until later in the day. Some hotels will hold your luggage for you if you are staying that night but sometimes that won't be practical.
You will be in Paris for only one day and you have about 3 days worth of sightseeing here...and that's at a very brisk pace! Versailles is easily a full day just by itself. Consider adding at least two, preferably three more nights to Paris if you want to cover all of this.
Your Vienna, Prague, Budapest section looks pretty good as these cities are not terribly far apart but again, you have a huge list of things you want to see. Either pare it down or add nights.
Keep in mind that two nights in a city usually equates to one full day of sightseeing.
If I were you, I would spend time charting out actual time that all of these factors - travel, checking in and out, seeing specific sights, meals, sleep - will take for every day of your trip. Create a calendar or chart and map it out very specifically and then see where that leaves you. I usually do this for trips such as this and it really helps to make a realistic plan that won't exhaust you our your aunts!
As for hotels, it would be great to know your budget range per night. Hard to suggest otherwise!
Happy planning!

Posted by
991 posts

If it were me, I would not want to spend so much time in transition in 17 days. I would take out 2-3 of the cities and if I was keeping them, I would add at least a day to Paris and to Munich. My favorite hotel in Munich is Hotel Uhland. It has a great staff, great breakfast, and is located in a nice residential area along a bus route and not too far from the main train station.

Posted by
10331 posts

This itinerary is unrealistic in the amount of time you have. As previously mentioned, you haven't considered what to do with your belongings when you arrive early in a city and want to sightsee. You're assuming that you will be well rested after traveling on a night train. Many people here will attest to the fact that sleep is fleeting on a night train. As for how much time to spend in a city, 2 nights only gives you one full day in a location, 3 nights = 2 days, and so on.

You plan to go to 5 countries in 15 days. It really can't be done, and especially not to see all the things you have listed. How old are your aunts? Have any of you traveled internationally before? I hope you are planning to fly open jaw (multi-city) and not round trip to somewhere.

I understand the temptation to want to see it all, but that is impossible. Assume you will go back. I would pull out a map and each of you pick a place you want to see, keeping geography in mind. For example, pick France, Germany, Vienna and Prague. Fly into Paris and spend 4 nights if you want to see the things you've listed. You may be jet lagged on arrival. From there go to Strasbourg. Spend 1 night. From there go to Fussen. Spend 2 nights. Then 2 nights in Munich. That would give you 6 nights to split between Vienna and Prague. Fly home from your last city. It will be a fast paced trip. You don't really have time for Budapest. Or cut Paris out if Budapest is a must see.

My trip planning always starts with a big wish list. Then I have to cut things out to become a trip that will be more enjoyable. It's not a race, it's a vacation.

Posted by
18514 posts

Okay, I will pick on what I know about; Budapest for 3 nights. Another day would be nice, but this works. I don’t think you want to go from Vienna to Prague and back to Budapest do you? I would go from Prague to Vienna to Budapest that does make sleeper trains a little less viable because the distances are so short. There is a fast train leaving Vienna for Budapest at 9:48 (which means you leave your hotel about 8:15am) and arriving at 12:48. Sure, there are a couple of earlier trains, but do you really want to start your day at 4 in the morning? Figure 30 to 45 minutes to get to your hotel or rental apartment or….??? So let’s call it 1:30. Unpack, etc and now at best it’s 2 pm in the afternoon.

If you were staying somewhere along the M1 Corridor then this day I would do this:
1. Opera House (outside). Then the Opera Metro Station to get metro tickets (book of 10)
2. Walk up Andrassy ut to the House of Terror (get past the name, excellent museum) 1.5 hours
3. Andrassy ut and hop on and off the M1 metro so you can walk some of this wonderful street until you reach Hero’s Square at the end of Andrassy ut and then on to Vajahunyad Castle (you know it’s a 19th century reproduction, right? Still very fascinating). Then the City Park, bath house, etc. (Varosliget) 2 to 3 hours total time.

4. Return to your digs and get ready for a walk and dinner.
5. About 6:30pm head out for dinner.

6. Walk to Macesz Huszár “Jewish Bistro” http://maceszhuszar.hu/ deep in the heart of the old Jewish Ghetto. Pretty authentic Jewish/Hungarian fare at good prices and decent service. Nice folks too.

7. Its at least 8:30 pm. Now head for Gozsdu Udvar as a shortcut back to Kiraly utca.
8. Up Kiraly utca to Vasvari Pal utca where on the corner you will find Kadarka’s Wine Bar for a glass of one of Hungary’s best vintages before the 5 minute walk back to the Opera and presumably somewhere near your accommodations.

NEXT MORNING
Okay, well the first day was short so I wanted to see what could be made to happen. Full days are more flexible
1. Opera to the end of Andrassy ut and then the 47/49 tram one stop then walk back a little and visit the Dohany utca Synagogue (“Central Synagogue”). Take the tour. Worth it.

2. Back on the same tram in the same direction a couple more stops and you will find the Great Market Hall. My guess is that if you are having a good time that it is noon. Eat lunch in the market hall top floor. This is primitive, I think good (DAVID!) local fare sold primarily to locals. But its not fancy.
3. Now get on the Number 2 Tram to the Chain Bridge. This is a great tram ride. Sit on the river side of the tram.
4. Cross the bridge on foot and take the funicular up to Buda
5. I am not a big fan of Buda. Use get a good guide book and figure on 2 to 3 hours. So maybe its 4pm
6. Funicular back down, walk the bridge and head for the Cathedral and the plaza before it. Look for the music themed gift shop about half way down the pedestrian road and look for the other gift shops to the right of the basilica. Best shopping in town for quality stuff.
7. You will be home by 6 pm I think, maybe 7 but that’s okay.

8. Did I remind you to make reservations at Paprika? http://www.paprikavendeglo.hu/ You are familiar with the M1 now so this is an easy trip for you.
9. After dinner get off the M1 at the Oktogon and walk up the left side of the street back towards the opera until you get to a magnificent building with an arch on the façade at no. 39 Andrassy ut. Up the escalator to one of Budapest’s grandest coffee shops to relax before heading home.

NEXT MORNING (last day)
Today is for the Parliament, Shoe Memorial, Vaci utca, and one very special interest destination; you tell me what interests you most and I will match that up with something (epoch in history, museum type, art, architecture, Jewish, theater, etc.)

If this is any help at all, say so and I will finish it.

Posted by
5450 posts

Yikes is right! Basically, I think you are trying to do two trips in one. Either do France, Munich and Fussen or Vienna, Prague and Budapest. You almost had me kinda feelin' your itinerary until you dropped the night train bomb - not a good idea as you will be constantly exhausted.

If you do choose to come to Vienna, my first comment is that you are on palace overload. And where does the Hoher Markt come from because it is kind of random - it is just a square you can see in about 5 minutes.

So a Fussen to Vienna trip will take about 7 hours on the train. So I assume that you will arrive late in Vienna, spend the night and then have a day and then leave the next day for the next destination.

With one full day in Vienna, I would suggest that you walk around the first district in the morning, taking in St. Stephan's, the Graben, a coffee shop (Demel's or Central would be my suggestions), walk through (but not in) the Hofburg, see the Rathaus and the Opera from the outside. Take the U4 to Schonbrunn and visit the palace. Have dinner at the Naschmarkt on your way back. I think this is all you have time for.

If you did have more time, I would add the Belvedere and Karlskirche (St. Charles) as they are close together. Vienna really deserves 3 full days, so if you do adjust your schedule I am happy to provide more highlights.

Posted by
11613 posts

I travel a lot and can find my way around a train station anywhere in the world but I would not attempt this.

Sleeper trains are not that much cheaper than hotels or hostels. I've taken a few sleepers and I will never do it again. If any one of you is tired the next day, your whole geoup will feel it. Plus, you will be more vulnerable and disoriented when you arrive. Where to leave your luggage is another consideration, alrhough you could xheck it at the starltion, but you have to allow for lines when you drop it off/retrieve it.

As for your cities, Strasbourg can be done as a long daytrip from Paris. For your German castles, perhaps you can find a tour that will take you to all three; I think trying to do all three in one day will be very difficult without a car.

Posted by
18514 posts

Put the question in the Hungary section and I will finish it.

AND, while it is a bit hurried, and I might pull one town; I don't think it's an unreasonable trip for whirlwind tour of Europe. Go and have a blast.

Posted by
339 posts

My opinion is that the Schonnbrun (Vienna) and Versailles (Paris) are similar enough to only do one of them. I did prefer the schonnbrun. I would pare this trip down drastically or you won't remember much. We don't stay less than 3 days in a city and prefer more otherwise it's a blur.

And I agree with another poster that this sounds like 2 trips. Slow down and enjoy.

Posted by
16894 posts

There are not many overnight sleeper trains that could fit your plan. You can take one from Paris to Munich (skipping Strasbourg, or direct daytime train takes 6 hours) and Munich-Vienna (or direct daytime train takes only 4 hours). The Vienna-Prague overnight train arrives at 4:00 a.m., so that's not much fun. The train trips to and from Munich are your longest and most expensive, and both are sold at a significant discount if you lock in dates and times about three months ahead through DB. See How to Look Up Train Schedules Online for the DB train schedule link and tips for using it. Other tickets are easy to buy in the station, or tickets departing Vienna are sold on the Austria web site; see also http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains/buying-tickets.