Heating pads

Has anyone taken a heating pad to Europe? My aches and pains do better with some heat at the end of the day. A Thermacare couldn't move around to all the ouchies. I don't mind the weight or space of a heating pad, but I don't want to burn if I overload circuits.

Posted by Pamela
New York City, NY, USA
4633 posts

Karen, Why don't you just pick one up when you get there? They you wouldn't have to worry about overload. You can either keep it for another visit or sell it on Craig's List to someone else who needs it. I suggest this, as I once forgot my battery charger and so ended up buying a European one. I found it was a lot easier. I kept it until I moved away from double A batteries in my camera. Pam

Posted by Ken
Vernon, Canada
24207 posts

Karen, Your best bet would be to buy one in Europe, as Heating Pads sold here typically aren't designed for dual-voltage operation. If you connect a 115 volt Heating Pad in Europe, you'll not only burn it out instantly, but will likely have to deal with a very angry Hotel owner. Theoretically you could connect it via a high wattage Voltage Converter, but I wouldn't recommend that approach. Most "travel" Voltage Converters are not designed for continuous duty operation, so operating this for extended periods could cause overheating. Cheers!

Posted by Michael 1
Phoenix, AZ, USA
1035 posts

Not the easiest item to find. Your typical street corner Chemist or Farmacia is unlikely to carry one. You'll need to find a large and well-stocked Farmacia. Maybe someone in Europe can comment, but had to find one in Rome and was quite an undertaking to find a place that carried them. I have the impression they aren't as common in Europe.

Posted by Nigel
East Midlands, England
13909 posts

They are very common. We have one we bought at a supermarket in the UK, and one we bought at a HEMA in Haarlem. The trick is knowing where to look, in which country. It will also mean going where locals go, not tourists. They are cheap and efficient, and do not work well being taken from the US. The question is unfortunately vague, posted in General Europe and the question only "to Europe". If we had an idea of countries I could give a better answer.

Posted by Ms. Jo
Frankfurt, Germany
5691 posts

This would be something one would buy in a dept. store. I got my last one at Woolworths last year. So, yeah, if you tell us the countries we can assist you better, otherwise, you are talking a whole continent.

Posted by Nigel
East Midlands, England
13909 posts

You're so lucky to still have Woolie's. UK ones shut down a few years ago and most are still vacant. No more pick'n'mix although in my case that's a good thing ;-)

Posted by D.D.
375 posts

I bought one at Toom in Germany a year or so ago, and I think I've seen them at Praktiker. But you're more likely to find those stores in outlying areas than in city centers.

Posted by Karen
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
1853 posts

Sorry to be vague; I'll be in Paris. My current one is pretty old, so I'd need a new one anyway for the trip. When I looked at some here I couldn't tell the voltage without ripping open the package. I'll buy one there. Thanks.

Posted by Nigel
East Midlands, England
13909 posts

Paris, have a look in Monoprix. Maybe Darty?

Posted by Jenufa
London, UK
283 posts

you can also try a hot water bottle if you have access to a kettle.