Please sign in to post.

Head Phones

When on long flights such as crossing the pond you get some entertainment which requires ear buds.
The ones supplied by airlines are not what you would call quality. On my flights the plug in holes are for 2 prongs not 1. So, I recommend getting an adapter that his 2 prongs and one hole for you to plug into with your better quality single jack head set. Not expensive and definitely worth it.

Posted by
5078 posts

Hmm. I guess Ive been doing it wrong. I just plug my single prong into one of the armrest holes. Is an adapter really necessary?

Posted by
2768 posts

Two prong headphones? I've never run across this - what airline? My standard headphones work fine on the flights I've been on (usually Iberia or British Air, occasionally Alitalia)

Posted by
8573 posts

There were two holes on my BA flight recently. I plugged my single prong headphones into one of the holes and it worked fine

Posted by
380 posts

The two prongs are outdated technology. It used to be that you could only use the headphones supplied by the plane, but they cost a couple of dollars and used a two-prong plug. You could plug your own set in, but you'd only get tinny mono sound.

I guess it's also possible that the two-prongs are just two plugs with the same feed so you can watch a movie with your seatmate...

I also remember when the in-flight movie was actually projected on a screen on the bulkhead. If you were sitting very far back you couldn't see at all.

Posted by
11429 posts

If the airline seat ha a 2 prong plug and you use a single prong earphone, it is quite likely you are getting only one channel, i.e not stereo.

That may be the explanation for the comment about "tinny" sound

Posted by
534 posts

I don't use the airline system at all really.

iPad + Bose noise reducing headphones + Pink Floyd + 9 hour flight + a small amount of fermented grape juice or juniper berries = Paradise

Posted by
1443 posts

iPad + Bose noise reducing headphones + Pink Floyd + 9 hour flight + a
small amount of fermented grape juice or juniper berries = Paradise

I see. It must therefore hold that....

Paradise - ipad - 9 hour flight - Pink Floyd - a small amount of fermented grape juice or juniper berries = Bose noise reducing headphones.

QED.

Posted by
107 posts

This was on Aer Lingus 3 weeks ago. Going and Coming. 2 holes. The plane was pretty modern to my eyes. Nice selection of movies I could not hear very well using their ear buds. After we got home I did a search on the cost of an adapter. $2 and shipping is free.

P.S. When leaving Dublin you go thru security a 2nd time for American Destinations which includes U.S. Customs right there in Ireland. Which turned out nice, no congested lines in Chicago.

Posted by
4064 posts

My Sony headphone set has a conventional single jack but also a second jack that flips down for these older connections. Worth considering when shopping. But it has been awhile since I saw a two-prong connection.

Posted by
1097 posts

Two prongs in Delta business class in both directions this month, and they supplied noise-cancelling over-ear headphones with two prongs. DH's plug didn't work on the flight home so they credited me 15,000 SkyMiles for the trouble. :D
It's been ages since I've seen two prongs for the seat-back entertainment systems in coach/priority, though, and usually on the smaller, older planes.