Please sign in to post.

Happy summer solstice!

Celebrating summer solstice is a big deal in some parts of Northern Europe. I'm gonna find out how big by going up to Sweden to celebrate with some old friends. I'm told there will be dancing around a May Pole, wearing garlands of flowers in the hair, eating raw herring, and ...oh yeah... lots of drinking. They say it's like Christmas and your birthday, all rolled up in one. And after the solstice? The long slide to darkness as the days start to get shorter again. Anyone else marking the longest day of the year? How is it celebrated where you are (if at all)?

Posted by
1068 posts

Sounds like a fun trip! Solstice is cool. My mother and her hippie friends always used to celebrate with a bonfire, and firing Raku pots - and they buried something small but meaningful (like a doll, or a coin, or a wish written down on hand-made paper) that they then dig up the following year. I think the May Pole is used on May Day, though. That's May 1st. We celebrated that when I was little - got up before dawn and filled paper baskets with candies and cookies and hung them, together with fresh-picked flowers - on neighbors and friends front doors. And of course my Da always used to make us wear a red armband to school - International Workers Day! I still celebrate that one.

Posted by
1840 posts

that should be "nap", and it looks like I need one now.

Posted by
3696 posts

@Kira... I think I would love your mother
@Thomas... really, really, really jealous! Have fun and report back.

Posted by
5790 posts

There is a "may pole", but in Swedish it is called a "Midsommarstång" or Midsommar pole. Thomas, I'm sure you will get to do the "little frog" (Små grodorna) dance. In case you want to learn the dance before you go ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSfqQDjIuxo

Posted by
3838 posts

Thomas, Lucky you! Sounds like a great trip! There is no such celebration here in my area. But I'm sure things will be quite lively at Stonehenge. I hope to be there some year for summer (or winter) solstice.