Please sign in to post.

Happy New Year!!!!

Best wishes for a healthy and happy New Year to everyone on the forum, and also Rick and everyone at Rick Steves Europe. Hopefully we will all be able to once again "raise our travel dreams to their upright and locked positions, and let ourselves fly away."

Posted by
2020 posts

And to you as well, Ken. Your calm, kind and thoughtful posts are always a welcome sight. Take care and stay healthy. Happy new year.

Posted by
32521 posts

Happy New Year to our senior member, Ken, and all the other forum friends. I wish you many more New Years and may all come from a happier old year, and to your improving health

Posted by
4495 posts

Where did I read that Vernon was the cross country ski capital of North America? Skiing is a great way to ring in the New Year, as I am about to do now.

Posted by
3961 posts

Ahhh, Vernon, BC., It was my husband's favorite town years ago for dogsled racing! Happy New Year Ken and Buon Anno a tutti. Salute!

Posted by
2281 posts

hey hey ken
Hau'oli Makahiki Hou "Happy New Year" to you. thanks for all your kind and informative posts here. hoping everyone here have better travel dreams come true this year.
aloha

Posted by
6431 posts

I remember stopping at Vernon on the way to Banff and admiring the beautiful city park -- long before reading Ken's posts and realizing that Vernon has at least two great features! Thanks for your always helpful and kind contributions to this forum, and best wishes for the New Year to all who post here.

Posted by
32173 posts

Thank you all for the kind comments and wishes for the new year! Hopefully all of us can enjoy some happy travels this year.

Tom_MN, Vernon is indeed well known for cross country skiing - https://www.adventuresnw.com/silver-star-bcs-world-class-nordic-ski-destination/ . Prior to the 2010 Winter Olympics, cross country teams from several countries were training there. The Silver Star Resort is also popular for downhill skiing, and normally gets visitors from all over the world.

Dick, the beautiful park is probably Polson Park. It's still beautiful but now has a few issues with the homeless and criminal element (probably not a good idea to venture into the park at night).

We also have some great local talent in this area. Here's something to brighten up a cold winter night - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAcGaQY6G3g .

Hopefully we can all stay safe and healthy until the vaccine program gets up to speed.