Please sign in to post.

GPS unit for Europe

We are going to France , Switzerland , and possibly Italy for 23 days driving. We are looking for a GPS unit for the rent-a-car that already has the europe maps loaded into it. Any suggestions.

Posted by
784 posts

Hi Lee, did you ask the car rental company? They have them. I'm renting from autoeurope in a week for six weeks, they are sending me the GPS system prior to my departure from the US and I return it when I return to the US. It cost me under $150 I believe.

Posted by
87 posts

Hello....

If you have a laptop, you might want to consider Microsoft AutoRoute 2007. We have this running on our laptop coupled with USB plug-in GPS sensor and it works great. Even better if the little sensor has a magnetic base, so you can stick it on the roof in poor reception areas. The program also is a great tool for planning your trip, as it will calculate miles and drive times to various places you may wish to visit. There is a slight learning curve on using the program, but once mastered it is great. I don't believe Microsoft still sells the program, but you can certainly find it on eBay or elsewhere on line.

Posted by
49 posts

Garmin 270 with N. America and Europe maps for $140 out of pocket:
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-270-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator/dp/B000OH26OM
It helped me go through all the narrow streets in France for 2 weeks without any problems (well almost no problem, but that's a different story). It is so useful I rarely opened my michilin maps.

I heard Tomtom is as good or better, but have no experience on it.

I personally rank the importance of having a GPS right below passport and ATM/credit card, that is if you drive. In fact, it is so important that I may get a second GPS as a backup in future trips. If you really want to save $ and don't care about name brand, you can get a new one with N. Am and Europe maps on ebay for under $100 (search "GPS mp4").

Posted by
875 posts

We bought a TomTom 920 last year to use in France -- it came loaded with European maps. It was a great asset -- especially in those remote areas in France that seemed to lack any road signs, and through those pesky roundabouts! It was actually worth it just for the roundabouts since it tells you which exit to take, and you then don't have to keep driving around in a circle trying to read the signs on the roundabout as you go!
We bought rather than rented so we could use it in the states also (I have zero sense of direction)

Posted by
345 posts

I second the Garmin 270. We used last year and again this year and it never led us astray. It was so relaxing to know that you could drive straight to the next hotel or attraction without worrying about finding your way by having to read a map. The price is great and it is all you need.

Posted by
186 posts

Lee, I know this wasn't your question, but being that you will renting a car for 23 days, have you considered leasing a car? That might save you some money and you would get a GPS equipped car. I leased a car last month for my trip to France and Spain. I picked up the car just outside of Paris, it was a brand new Peugeot, it was equipped with GPS for all of Europe. It was fully insured, I had no liability for anything, except for using the correct fuel, and I had the car of my choice. You might want to look into it. I leased mine from autofrance.net.

Posted by
881 posts

I third the Garmin 270. On the suggestion of folks on this board, I got one at CompUSA for 121.98 (S&H included), downloaded the Europe maps, and it worked great. We went through Italy, Ireland, Slovenia, Germany and Austria with it, and it even had all those little teeny-tiney 1 lane roads in Ireland. Most impressive.

The one thing that was a hassle was finding these places in Europe that don't have a traditional address (see Ireland.. lol). But once we were able to find them, we could always get back with the GPS.

Saved us so much time, and money!

PS - It charges with a USB 2 based charger, so if you bring a lap top, or have an I-pod charger, it works great for it. Car one and mount were included.