Please sign in to post.

GPS in Europe

What is the best GPS for WALKING in European cities?

Posted by
32322 posts

Steven, The "best" GPS is going to vary to some extent on personal preference. I've been using a Garmin Nüvi for several years for both driving and walking, and it's worked well so far. When using it for walking, battery life can be a bit of an issue so I tend to use it only when absolutely required. Of course, that's not a problem when driving as it can be plugged into the lighter socket. The model that I'm using came equipped with both North American and European maps, and I've uppdated those a couple of times since I bought it. Happy travels!

Posted by
9369 posts

If you could borrow a handheld GPS (like one that is used for hiking or camping) that has maps installed, that would be your best option. I am a geocacher and I took my handheld to Spain, loaded with Europe maps. It was like having a road atlas in my hand. The batteries for that last for a good twelve hours.

Posted by
14554 posts

Nancy, which handheld do you have?

Posted by
9369 posts

I actually have two, both Garmins - a 60Csx, and a 62s. I have Europe maps and US maps that work in both.

Posted by
17 posts

I'm going to Europe med Sep to Nov 1. I have both the NUVI 1200 and 62s. Garmin says I have to purchase seperate Euro maps. Any suggestions.

Posted by
9369 posts

If you want to switch it back and forth, one set of maps on SD card would work for both. I know that the SD card version is the same for both devices. If you did have to choose, I would defintely choose the 62s, because of the flexibility of the device (features, using for walking, etc). It can give you turn by turn directions, too.

Posted by
12313 posts

You will get better battery life from the GPS units with smaller screen sizes. I'd go for something smaller - also an advantage for packing and carrying with you.

Posted by
9369 posts

The 60Csx has a battery life of 18 hours, and does have a small screen. Not sure of the exact battery life of th 62s but it is probably comparable. Maps can't be added to many of the smaller handhelds.

Posted by
15 posts

I see people recommending Garmin, i went to their website and to get a Italy map download its from $70-$100. If you buy a Garmin with free maps, i see you get 4 free a year, would the Italy map be included?

Posted by
9369 posts

The western Europe mapset is a better deal. Mine was $99 for all of Europe - why spend that much just for Italy? There is no difference in the information. Are you talking about a Nuvi with free upgrades? If so, you could upgrade whatever comes installed in your unit for free - some have Europe maps and some don't.

Posted by
1266 posts

Steven - We just got back from a 2 week trip to Ireland. We actually used our Garmin Nuvi when walking around.