Please sign in to post.

GPS Devices

Hi - I have a Tom Tom 330s GPS device for my auto here in the USA. We are planning a trip to Germany, and will use trains while in Germany.I am wondering if I could download a map of Germany on to the GPS and use my GPS device while there. Does anyone know if this would work and, if so, does it make sense?

Thanks, Bill

Posted by
32324 posts

Bill,

I'm not familiar with the Tom Tom units, as I use a Garmin Nüvi. However, you should be able to download European maps.

I always pack my GPS unit along, even if I'm not driving. It's often quite helpful in walking around cities, especially if I get lost.

Happy travels!

Posted by
9369 posts

Sure. your TomTom will work fine if you get European maps for it (check with www.tomtom.com). Your only issue might be keeping it charged. Mine only came with the cord for the car, and if you aren't driving you'll need some way to charge it.

Posted by
65 posts

Thanks for the great and helpful responses! It helps a lot to know that I am on the right track.

Bill

Posted by
9369 posts

The input on my Tom Tom has a proprietary jack - it does not accept a standard mini-USB plug, so check yours to see if it does.

Posted by
65 posts

Nancy - I understand exactly what you are saying and I am now looking for a recharger to plug into a wall outlet that fits my Tom Tom. I have an e-mail into Tom Tom asking about that. Bill

Posted by
1568 posts

I will take my Garmin Nuvi with me next trip after down loading the European Maps. I am fond of this gadget.