Please sign in to post.

Going to Europe this summer. What else do we need to book in advance?

Me and my friends are going to Europe for 25 days this summer, leaving in approximately two months. So far we've booked all of our housing, the flight to and fro Europe and all of the inter-Europe flights. Our itinerary is Barcelona (fly to) Rome (train to) Venice (train to) Como (train to Milan then fly to) Berlin (Fly to Brussels then train to) Bruges (train to) Amsterdam (fly to Barcelona and then back). What else should we book in advance, any of the train rides? Is there anything else we should think about? Thanks!

Posted by
4637 posts

You posted the same question twice. It could be a good idea to delete one so you will have all your answers under one post.

Posted by
2487 posts

The long-distance trains come with a considerable discount when booked in advance and you don't mind a non-refundable ticket, tied to a specific train. For Rome-Venice and Venice-Milan you can buy your tickets (emailed pdf) at the Trenitalia website. Use Italian place names (Roma, Venezia Santa Lucia, Milano Centrale).
Brugge to Amsterdam can also be booked in advance. You have the choice between the high-speed Thalys service or the regular Intercity train. Use the website of the Belgian railways.
There is no need for 1st class. Second class is comfortable enough.

Posted by
905 posts

If you plan visits to major art galleries check websites to see if you can purchase tickets in advance - saves long line-ups. If you plan on going to Sistine Chapel in Rome look for tickets for after hours visits to avoid the madhouse. Borgese gallery admission is by timed tickets - definitely book in advance. Sounds like a great trip...safe journies!

Posted by
27399 posts

In Barcelona you are likely to face substantial ticket lines for the following sights if you don't buy timed-entry tickets in advance. You don't need to do it early; just don't plan to walk up on the day of your visit and be inside 5 minutes later. Not happening. The problem sights I'm aware of are: La Sagrada Familia (and tower ascent is a separate timed ticket), Parc Guell, Picasso Museum (a veritable zoo--skip it if you aren't really interested in Picasso's art and ceramics), Casa Batllo, Casa Mila (aka La Pedrera), and the Palau de la Musica Catalana (must take tour, English available).

In Berlin I think the Reichstag Dome is a book-in-advance deal. I found significant lines at some of the museums on MuseumInseln, and the museum card did not allow you to avoid those lines. I now understand that one can by entry tickets online that come with line-skipping privileges. It's worth doing some advance prep on Berlin to see what key sights you want to see, so you can research whether any of them would benefit from advance purchase of tickets.

In Rome, in addition to the Borghese Gallery and the Vatican Museums, you'll need to buy tickets in advance if you want to take the underground tour of the Colosseum, which sells out. And the Domus Aurea also needs to be pre-booked. I believe it's open only on weekends, but I haven't verified that.

I think the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam also sells out. I suspect the Van Gogh Museum is another place that required some advance planning, and possibly also the Rijksmuseum, but I haven't been to Amsterdam recently.

In Venice, the Secret Itineraries tour at the Doges' Palace regularly sells out.

In Milan, The Last Supper sells out very early.

I am not suggesting that those are the top sights in their respective cities or that you should necessarily see them, just that if you want to see them, you should not plan to buy tickets on the day of your visit. For some, now is probably not too early, but be absolutely sure of your dates, and don't tie yourself down now for places that can be taken care of just 24-36 hours in advance (which probably will be sufficient for the Barcelona sights, as long as you don't have to have a particular time slot for them).