Please sign in to post.

Global Pass

I will be visitng 5 countries over a 60 days as of Aug. 15. My research tells me to buy a Global Pass. Do you concur?

Posted by
23268 posts

Generally the answer is, "NO." BUT --- without knowing your tentative schedule it is impossible to answer accurately. Given the deep discounts available for advance sales coupled with the seat reservation fees for a pass holder or the limited number pass holder seats availabe, a train pass is seldom cost effective. Sometimes the fee to use the pass is greater than a discount ticket price. Not like the old days when a train pass was a no-brainer.

PS -- What was your research???? Price of pass? Number of days of travel?

Posted by
8889 posts

Since you haven't told us the results of your research, or given any details of the journeys you are planning, it is impossible to concur or disagree.

I notice you asked a similar question a few weeks ago (but that was 4 countries in 56 days), and got a similar request for details: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/austria/global-pass-fc803bab-76ea-4d4b-b5d3-3a1425d8665d
In pricing out your trips, are you using advance purchase prices, or "pay-on-the-day" prices? In many countries you can save a lot (50%+) by buying in advance, though some of the cheapest fares may already have gone for August.

Posted by
16893 posts

Since the date of your last question, the Global Pass introduced short-term discounts up to 37% off, making them even cheaper than some similar 3- or 4-country Select passes. But the current deal must be ordered this weekend and then cannot be refunded or changed.

If that's too soon for you to decide, then I'd probably stick with my earlier suggestion to look at the Swiss Travel Pass and the European East Pass.

Posted by
32756 posts

It is difficult to give answers when the question is incomplete. A dialogue allows arriving at a well honed answer which meets your needs best. A simple basic question is which countries exactly? They are all different.

I see from your history that you ask questions but don't come back to discuss or elaborate.

In order to even come close to answering your very short question accurately we need considerably more detail.

It seems that you simply want validation. Hard to validate blindly.

Posted by
106 posts

I have had several conflicting responses. I'm going to go ahead and get the Global Pass. Thanks to everyone for your feedbacks.

Posted by
8889 posts

I have had several conflicting responses. I'm going to go ahead and get the Global Pass. Thanks to everyone for your feedbacks.

We haven't given any feedback. All we have said is that you haven't given us enough info to give any feedback, not conflicting responses.
Your choice whether you want to get a pass. Enjoy your trip (wherever it is).

Posted by
32756 posts

Enjoy your Global Pass.

When you need help with using it in some of the countries such as France, Switzerland and Italy feel free to come back for more help.

Posted by
571 posts

I was actually surprised to see how good the price was for the 2 and 3 month continuous use. For an epic summer long once in a lifetime go everywhere see everything travel bonanza it probably would make sense, at least while the sale is on.

Posted by
27116 posts

Depends to a considerable degree on how much of the travel is more efficient by train vs. by bus. Can't help thinking that way; I'm in my fourth Ukrainian city and haven't been on a train yet.