Please sign in to post.

Gifts for French relatives

Hello. I am visiting French relatives in Chambery France in September and would like to bring gifts from Michigan or things that are made in the US. I would welcome any suggestions you can offer. I need gifts for three adult women, three adult men, two boys (around 12years old) and a girl around 9 years old. I'd like to bring smallish gifts that are not fragile. Thanks you in advance for your ideas!

Posted by
11507 posts

I have french relatives and friends too. I bring the good old standbys from Paris, these gifts are considered always proper as a house or dinner guest.

Flowers and chocolates. In your case are there any candies unique to your area? ( Maple sugar candies work for where iI am from)

I would not bring everyone an individual gift, that seems a bit much. Nine gifts!

How well do you know these people?
Stand by ideas, a coffee table photo book with beautiful shots of your country, for the hosts at least.

Posted by
380 posts

I second bringing a jam, picture book of your area, even a small history booklet about your area. Maybe a few flavored popcorns or peanut brittle, that would work for everyone. I think an American candy is always great for kids - Pop Rocks, fun dips, Tootsie rolls, Reeses peanut buttercups, jolly ranchers, salt water taffy are just some of the candies I don't remember seeing in my travels to Europe. I saw somewhere one time where people suggested Twinkies for kids.

You could always do a few boxes of Kraft Mac & Cheese, that could be a great conversation topic when they cook it at dinner.

Posted by
10189 posts

We take dried blueberries and dried sweetened cranberries, two berries not common in France. Also jams with those two. You'll see blueberries in the markets now, but they are rare.

Posted by
5678 posts

Calendars that feature US national parks or your local state or town make for great pack able presents.

Pam

Posted by
11507 posts

Do not bring Kraft dinner unless you know them and they will be amused.. its a bit insulting really.. its cheap packaged food ,,, the sort of stuff Europeons think Americans live on.. why promote that.. same with Twinkies.. to a land where they make truly amazing pastries.. Also bringing something you think they should "cook at dinner" is a total insult.. the hostess plans a meal.. its not ok to bring something to upset her evening. The French are a bit more serious at planning a meal.. they choose the wines carefully .. they consider how each course goes with the next.. suggesting they cook some packaged macaroni.. ugh.. I bet they would smile politely and put it away.. and later wonder why you thought they needed that ?

I think local candies and jam are good ideas though.

As for junkie type candy for kids.. once again.. do you know these people well.. I have friends here who would not like people giving their kids candy like that.. some parents are into healthy eating for their kids and can be stringent about it.. some nice special local type candy they might think is a nice indulgence.. but jolly ranchers.. are you serious?

Maybe some of you think I am being harsh.. but I have visited homes of relatives and friends a lot more then most of you and I am really trying to be helpful.. so much of this depends on the people you are visiting..

Posted by
9567 posts

whatever you do, do NOT bring Kraft Mac & Cheese. I'm sorry but that's a really horrible idea. It would put them off you from the very start!!

Posted by
8293 posts

Save yourself a lot of trouble and do not bring gifts from home. Arrive with a couple of bottles of wine and some chocolates from Duty Free, and while you are with them take the family out for dinner or a splendid lunch. Chambery is a sweet place, by the way. You'll like it.

Posted by
32747 posts

Be careful with jam.... liquid based it has to go in checked luggage because it is unlikely to fit in the 3-1-1 bag and would likely get pulled out by your friends at the TSA.

Posted by
10189 posts

I've taken Jelly Bellies for nieces and family friend kids in the past. They taste one or two and don't like the overly sweetness. Don't bother with US kids junk candy.

Posted by
1412 posts

I like the ideas of coffee table book, calendar, even magnets for the kids. Michigan has such lovely lighthouses.....I know I have seen photos of one or two French lighthouses, but that could be a safer compare and contrast conversation since you are getting some push back on the candy and Mac N Cheese idea.......

Posted by
1825 posts

According to my grandfather....silk stockings, Hershey Chocolate bars and cigarettes.

Posted by
11507 posts

Norma has a great point, when I stay at someone's home overnight I always offer to take hosts out for a dinner, they usually love the idea! This is especially true if staying more then one or two nights( since if only staying a short time they may already have menu planned)

Posted by
792 posts

Are you able to get any Petoskey stones easily? Easily transferred, native to Michigan, with an interesting story.

What about sports apparel (t shirts) for the kids? When I am traveling and say I am from Chicago, a lot of people still talk about Michael Jordan. You could find out if they have any interests in a particular team or maybe get them U of M or MSU shirts. Also, Abercrombie and Fitch seems to be very popular. I say this because when I am in the international terminal at O'hare, teenagers are loaded down with Abercrombie and Fitch bags. You might be able to find some simple t shirts on sale. Or something Disney for the younger girl? I am not saying girls can't be into sports! But she may be a little young be developing preferences for any particular team.

For the adults, unless you know their tastes really well, I agree that a dinner out would be appreciated.

Posted by
389 posts

I would just say that gift giving is a fraught endeavor in general, and if what you think are cool, thoughtful gifts are met by a distinct lack of enthusiasm, roll with the punches and say "that's life."

Posted by
9420 posts

Agree completely with Norma, take them out to dinner. That's what I do. Always much appreciated.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. They're very helpful. I'd like to keep the gifts lightweight and small, so I'll bring dried cherries from Michigan and look for other items. I considered bringing t-shirts or a couple of baseball caps for the kids (Detroit Tigers or Red Wings), but I'm not sure how well they'll be received. From what I understand, the French don't usually wear clothing with big logos the way Americans do. Your thoughts?

Posted by
792 posts

I have seen kids wear logos on shirt but I have not seen many kids wearing baseball hats.

Posted by
11507 posts

I would nix the baseball caps unless you know they follow a team, remember this is not likely however!

Have you met these relatives before. If they are strangers I would err on side of a neutral gruop gift as suggested, the french are not as personal with strangers.

Posted by
1825 posts

A good bottle of Kentucky Bourbon, all they seem have over there is Jack Daniels.

Posted by
11507 posts

GOOD idea Richard.

OP, the French are not as child centric as Americans.. . a gift for the adults will do.. really .

Posted by
10189 posts

Yes, bourbon. It's always appreciated and exotic to them.