Please sign in to post.

gifts

I am travelling to Italy to visit family for Christmas (flying into Frankfurt, visiting Prague, Vienna, Paris and perhaps Barcelona). In past years, I've mailed gifts to the family and the number of restrictions on what I can mail to Italy is huge: no mittens, metal toys, playing cards, perfumery goods, coffee, scarves or gloves or jewelry or albums, etc. etc. And, of course, I can't send anything heavy or breakable. So I want to know where I can find out if there are any restrictions on what I can TAKE into Italy (or Frankfurt). I have 32 relatives to shop for and I don't want to buy a bunch of gifts and have it all confiscated at the airport. Can anyone direct me to this information? Help!

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks for the suggestions but they don't work in this situation.

1. My family will do a huge dinner and feed us until we pop!
2. Shopping in Europe is like "carrying coals to Newcastle"--the whole point is to bring fun stuff from America.

3. Nobody arrives to visit family in Italy without bringing gifts, and this is the first and possibly the last time we'll celebrate Christmas with them. Granted, they will be small and symbolic gifts rather than big and expensive, but I need to be sure I can bring them through customs.

So, back to my original challenge: what I can bring into Italy (and Germany) without violating customs?

Posted by
479 posts

I have absolutely ZERO concrete information to back this up, but I think customs rules into the US are generally more strict than the EU. Enforcement is another issue completely! So I would assume that if you're not breaking any TSA rules and not bringing anything that the US might not want you to bring the other direction, then you should be fine.

Again, I have nothing to back this up. That's just how I'd approach it. Once you're through EU customs then you won't have any issues crossing borders into other EU countries in western Europe.

Heck, if all of your gifts get confiscated then you will have a story for the rest of your life. "Remember the time Aunt Gay had all her presents confiscated? She's such a criminal!" LOL!

Posted by
808 posts

Sorry, can't really point you in the right direction...
One suggestion, though? What about getting everyone together and sharing a Christmas meal? Everyone could chip in and that would be everyone's gift to eachother...the gift of togetherness over a great meal. 32 relatives sounds like a lot of people to have to shop for!

Had you thought of doing some of the shopping there, upon arrival? If of course, you have the time and resources. Just a thought. It might be more personal if you had the chance to talk to each one a little about what they might like. That way you don't waste money on something they've either already got or don't necessarily want or need...

Posted by
705 posts

I'm surprised at what you can't mail. OK I can understand metal objects, food stuffs and liquids but am surprised at gloves. Anyway I visit Italy each year for work and have taken food stuffs, wine (before the liquid carry on restrictions), and small glass dishes for my business associates. I had absolutely no problems and no one even asked to check my carry on luggage or checked luggage. I think what every you take you will be fine with. Your biggest problem will be the size and weight of your gifts. The only restrictions I can think of is duty free items such as cigarettes, alcohol or perfume. I would assume you won't have any of these as gifts.

Posted by
51 posts

Aprons were enthusiastically appreciated by my Austrian family members, all of whom love to cook or use their barbecue grills. I bought Texas-themed aprons for every man, woman and child --- and we had grand fun posing for pictures and cooking together.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you all for such good suggestions. I especially like the apron idea--light, unbreakable, small. I hadn't realized there would be little hassle within the EU, and that's a comfort. FYI, here's a more complete list of things that can't be mailed to Italy: albums of any kind, articles of gold, artificial flowers or fruit, bells and musical instruments, clocks, coral, footwear of any kind, sewn articles of any kind (handkerchiefs, scarves, shawls, hats), leather goods, lighters, nutmeg, vanilla, salt, perfumery, playing cards, typewriter ribbons, coffee, prepared meats, toys not made wholly of wood. Also, of course, weapons, tobacco, dead animals, live bees or leeches or silkworms, and articles made of hair. You see why shopping in the past has been a challenge and why I'm hoping to have fewer restrictions flying...but also why I'm a little nervous.
Gay

Posted by
277 posts

When I visited my family in Northern Italy, I brought as gifts the true American gift: Baseball gloves, and a variety of different types of balls. The family was the talk of the small community. I even arranged for a game among the family and friends.

Posted by
432 posts

How about a family picture or portrait? If this is potentially the last Christmas together, it would be a sentimental rememberance and seems to not be on the "no go" list.

Posted by
57 posts

I'm curious to know -- where did you get the list of things you cannot mail? I've mailed many things to family in Italy including wine, sausage, jewlery, metal slinkys, clothing, bbq sauce, Jim Beam....

Anyway...

I do have a couple suggestions:
1. mail the gifts to where ever you're staying in Italy (my sis & I have done this in the past).

1. calanders - you could give everyone calanders of Oregon. This year, we're sending our family calanders of Pennsylvania. Or, you can get some pics together (pics from home, pics from past visits to your family in Italy)& have calanders made to give as gifts. Calanders wouldn't cause any problems with customs & they wouldn't take up too much room since they're flat.
Posted by
11507 posts

I have a hard time believing all those items are forbidden , where on earth did you get that list!?! Seriously, where did this list come from??
I think aprons are a great idea, especially since Italians are famous for cooking.
I also think the baseball gloves are great for kids and teens. But, according to your list they are forbidden as they are " sewn" and "gloves" !? Too Strange.
Frankly buying for 32 relatives strikes me as WAY over the top, I understand bringing gifts to your hosts, and very close family, but I would gift host family with one gift, not individule ones. I mean, do you even really know all these people?
Good luck, I think you will need it, and a big wallet, even 10 dollar gifts for 32 people adds up. LOL

Posted by
10 posts

I got the list of "no mail" items from the U.S. Post Office. The guy behind the counter pulls the list out every time I mail something and compares my list of contents in the box to what Italy says can't be mailed. I asked him for a copy once. I found the same list on the Italian Consulate website. You're either lucky or you have really cool postal clerks.
Gay

Posted by
10 posts

As to how many people to buy for, it's tricky. Obviously the three people we will be staying with. And the little kids in the family (5). But then there is the older generation (5 plus 4 spouses), and the family who always send us wedding mementos and holiday cards (4 plus 2 spouses). And then I get down to "those who are left" and would it be weird to leave them out. And of course, the last visit here, the cousins brought gifts for myself and my son from every group. I'm not talking big gifts here--calendars, aprons, potholders, soap, t-shirts for the kids at most. I will definitely buy couples gifts whenever possible. But I fully expect all these people will have gifts waiting for us when we arrive, so I want to be thoughtful (without going broke, of course). My grandfather always sent all these people cases of foodstuffs and American delicacies every year. He had more money than I do, but I keep telling myself it is a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Posted by
3428 posts

Why not take some pictures of beautiful sceanery in your area and have them made into calendars. Local Eckerd's Drugs or similar stores will do that for you. They'd make great gifts and you'd be sharing the beatuy of your home area. For the kids, get some of the "old" wooden toys like ball in the cup or peg games. You could mail the calendars or pack them.

Posted by
9363 posts

EBay gives the same list of prohibited items, saying that Italy has the most restrictive shipping rules anywhere. Of course, on eBay they are talking about items that a seller is shipping to a buyer, not someone sending family gifts. Maybe some of that is related to importing inventory from a sale (a business sending a purchased item)? I couldn't find information that said that these items are prohibited from being mailed in general.

Posted by
95 posts

How about magazines or books from your home town/state? I agree with the calendar & apron, potholder ideas. Have you thought about being a "tourist" in your hometown, and visit places that cater to tourists? You should be able to find a wide range (dollar-wise & product-wise) for every age group; fridge magnets, tea towels, cookbooks. By the way, I find it odd that complete strangers (although well intentioned strangers) are judging you as to whether you should be buying gifts for 32 people, if you even know them and should be buying gifts for them. Their hearts are in the right place of course, but I should think you would know your own business better than anyone! Try to do the very best you can for this "once in lifetime" event. It would be a shame to reflect on this someday, and think "I really wish I......" I hope you find the answers you're looking for......

Posted by
10 posts

Fridge magnets is a GREAT idea, thanks. Small, light, nonbreakable, inexpensive and easy to personalize. Besides, they're weirdly American!
Gay

Posted by
10344 posts

Fridge magnets are great, just make sure they stay away from your ATM and credit cards.

Posted by
10 posts

Wow, thanks for the reminder!
Gay