Please sign in to post.

gifts

my boyfriend and i will be staying in hostels all over europe next month. Id like to bring something from the us fo some of the owners. Does anyone have any ideas for inexpensive, lightweight(they have to fit in our packs) gifts? has anyone been to hostels where they post like magnets or postcards from other counrties that guests bring?

thanks,

christy

Posted by
1158 posts

Well, I don't know if those gifts are necessary.Even if I've never seen magnets in hotels/hostels in Europe I think they are a good idea. Or you can stry stickers instead of magnets, they can place them anywhere.

Posted by
525 posts

Gifts are not necessary but..I always take a gift to the hosts of our B&B's and just in case I run into someone I'd like to give them something, ie a friend for a friend we met in Bath, England. He took his time to tell us some information about the area. He invited us home to meet his mother and father. They downloaded some of my pictures. The mother who took her time to take us to the old church and the man who explained the history of the church. The cooks at the Falcon Hotel who were very kind and helpful although it was their job to cook the food, I wanted to give them something. I took ballpoint pens with Oregon printed on them. I took magnet refrigerator notepads with Oregon Lighthouse pictures. I took homemade scarves, I took Oregon hat pins for the men. Just something to say thank you for taking your time. Everyone was quite appreciative of being given a gift. I needed more ballpoint pens. EVERYONE in England were very kind, helpful and very nice. Even the underground workers in London came up to us to ask if we needed help and directed us in the right direction. I can't say enough about the English people. It was a "great" 3 weekds in England and Wales. Gifts are a nice gesture.

Posted by
588 posts

I've taken magnets from Oregon, small souvenir Oregon mint tins, state quarters, our $1.00 coins (Sagajawea and Presidential coins). One of the hostesses in a B & B collected magnets from people she had served.

Posted by
8293 posts

Personally, I think giving a gift to someone with whom you have a commercial arrangement (i.e., hostel manager or B&B owner) is just nonsense. As for someone who is nice to you in some way, should this not just be graciously accepted? Or buy that person a beer or a cup of coffee. It's also OK to just say "thank you" with grace and enthusiasm .... you will still be liked.

Posted by
852 posts

Hi Christy,
... we've noticed that many Europeans like a small half-pint can of Extra Fancy Maple Syrup ... we suppose it's a rare treat --- and certainly American!
bon voyage! P