Please sign in to post.

Getting home ?

Would appreciate advise from armchair experts out there. My daughter has been travelling with her husband since September. They had planned to be gone for the year. They had not been in any countries as they were impacted with Covid, so had hoped to continue. They are currently in India in the south east.

With the new advisories that all Canadians should come home they are looking at this, however are in a quandary. India has within a day started to shut all the provinces down. It looks like they could still get a flight to the UK, but most other flights to get to Canada look like they connect in the US. They are trying to find information on whether they can fly within India to reach other better connections.

They are hesitant to book multiple flights that don't connect and may be cancelled. They are not sure they will be allowed to enter the United States even to connect. They currently feel safe where they are, but it is not a place they had planned to spend the next two months.

My thoughts are the Uk flight, then get another to Canada if they make it there., but I'm also wondering if they are expected to quarantine in the UK while those connections occur how they can do that.

thanks everyone

Posted by
327 posts

I'm not an expert, but if it were me, I would go to an international travel agent and ask them what the options might be.
AFAIK, Air Canada has flights from Delhi to Toronto and Vancouver (via Copenhagen for refuelling). Good luck!

Posted by
480 posts

Thanks Marden,
They are not yet sure if they will be able to fly to Delhi, they are hoping on Monday that more information will be available, most of what they are hearing are rumours so far.

Posted by
119 posts

Here is an excerpt from an NPR article dated 3/12:

"Among the latest clampdowns: President Trump's announcement on Wednesday of a monthlong travel ban. Much like travel bans imposed in January and February on China and Iran, this latest restriction bars entry to the U.S. of foreign nationals who have been in one of 26 European nations in the 14 days prior to their scheduled U.S. arrival."

A previous poster mentioned a route that involves refueling in Copenhagen. Denmark closed its borders a day or so ago. I don't know if that would apply to a refueling stop.

I am guessing that whatever the situation is now, it could change rapidly. Good luck to your daughter and so-in-law.

Posted by
759 posts

Lisa- sorry but tough love time. As you stated, India is shutting providences down with little notice. This is not a time to talk. Get their asses to an airport and on their way to the UK ASAP if they can still get out. Do they understand the concept of “burning daylight”. From the UK they can get flights to Canada. The longer they sit there debating the great issues of the earth the fewer options they will have.

Posted by
481 posts

They also might try Qatar Airways which flies direct to Doha, Qatar from several Indian cities (Chennai in the southeast, maybe others), then directly to any number of North American cities, all on one ticket. I just flew with them today and had an excellent experience. There was no sign in Doha of cancelled flights. They seem to be running a full schedule.

Edit: They could also try the other mid-east airline - Emirates, etc. They all bypass Europe from India.

Posted by
6113 posts

Today, I have just returned home a few days early from a month long trip to Sri Lanka, where 10 cases and no deaths have been reported, but rising. Four of the 10 cases are Italian and they infected their local tour guide. I flew into London via Dubai on Emirates. Both flights were full.

We took the view that airlines may shut routes and if we were to get ill, we would prefer to be ill in the U.K. than in Sri Lanka plus the Sri Lanka health service should focus on treating their own people not tourists. Our travel insurance isn’t clear whether we would be covered by Coronavirus. Is your daughter covered?

No one knows how long this virus will last, but in the UK, they are suggesting that people over 70 may have to self isolate for 4 months, so this timescale may also be relevant for India.

They need to book a through ticket and one leaving immediately to avoid the risk of getting stuck somewhere in this rapidly evolving situation. It won’t be cheap.

Posted by
480 posts

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Much appreciated. Jennifer, yes they should be covered as their insurance was purchased prior to this, but some companies are saying they will only cover for as long as it takes to get home.

I'll keep you posted.

Posted by
480 posts

Hi Mardan ,
thanks for those! And checking in.

I've been hesitant to post for fear I would jinx it. They have made it to Dubai, and have onward travel booked to London. They then have a flight home 2 days after. Fingers crossed.

Posted by
32206 posts

Lisa,

It's great that they will be able to get to London as that should offer more options to get home.

As you may know, as of tomorrow all international flights will only be able to land at one of four airports in Canada - Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto or Montreal. You didn't say where they live, but another flight to get to their home airport will probably be required.

Posted by
327 posts

Lisa, I've been wondering and hoping that your daughter and her husband have made it home to Canada from India, safe and healthy. When things simmer down, please do come back and give us an update.

When I saw your story about them being stranded in India, it reminded me about my brother's trip around the world many years ago - he became ill while in India and was not able to travel, however, through the kindness of an expat Canadian family who lived in a large home with servants, my brother was able to stay and regain his health to continue his dream trip. It's no fun being far from home during exceptional circumstances. I hope your story has a positive ending too.

Posted by
480 posts

Just a quick update, they are home and symptom free. And quarantining with my son, who we also had to get back from Australia this week, he was doing a semester of school there. I hadn't asked about him as we thought had that sorted, but it did become a bit dicy at the end.
Anyways, we are grateful they are home, and hope they continue healthy. I am also thankful to all your suggestions. This forum is a great community.

Posted by
327 posts

Thank you for the update, Lisa. Be well at home, everyone!