Please sign in to post.

Germany in Winter

Can anyone shed light on the climate in West Germany during winter. I've checked the weather and it indicates the hi at 37 and the low at 30 during Dec and Jan. However, it's a bit hard to gauge. What type of coat would you suggest?

Posted by
8943 posts

Unless you are planning on going skiing, I would just bring a regular winter coat and leave the parka at home. Personally, I like coats that come down over the hips, down to the knees preferably. They look nicer and keep my legs warmer.

The weather can change and do whatever it wants whenever it wants. I have seen snow at Easter and another year, 80° at Easter. I even saw snow on the 30th of May once, but also trees blooming in Feb. and March. We have had winters with little or no snow or way below freezing temps for 3 months. It is very changable, so one gets used to just going with the flow and be simply be happy when the sun comes out.

PS - Dione, why don't you delete your other duplicate posting?

Posted by
19092 posts

I was in southern Bavaria, Munich at New Years and it was below freezing (~15°F) most of the time. And with the high humidity, you really feel the cold. I would suggest a down parka, that's what I had. Bring along a sweater to wear under it if it's really cold. If it gets up to thirty, forget the sweater. You can unzip the parka part way if it gets too hot.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks! A down parka would be better than just a down coats huh? I will be there for over a month and I'm trying to be practical and have something for all occasions. Should I pack more than one coat for more dress up events?

Posted by
2779 posts

We don't live in igloos, we live in brick-and-mortar buildings (so no wooden houses like in most parts of the US) and we've got central heating etc. as well. And what's more, we've got stores where you can buy thicker or thinner coats at low prices (C&A, H&M, Zara, kik, to name just a few). No matter if you live in Washington (I assume it's a typo) DC or state, just bring whatever you would wear on a cold winter day at home and you'll be fine.

Posted by
19092 posts

We don't live in igloos From the Pfronten website:

Posted by
2779 posts

Ha ha, Lee ;-)... Those igloos were put up for tourists, not as residences for locals though ;-)...

Posted by
485 posts

We went to Germany and Austria last December on a tour. From Lands End I bought a parka, only called a 'parka' because it's a bit longer than a regular jacket but not as long as a coat. It wasn't made of down but kept me very warm (and... Lands End is having a 40% off sale thru Friday, Nov 27 on all down outerwear). I also opted for some short boots that were comfortable for walking (because you will walk virtually everywhere), and I brought along some trendy scarves, a hat, and gloves.

It's funny how the low temp and the high temp will many times be only a few degrees apart. That's very common during that time of year, along with gray skies.

Be aware that the department stores will keep the indoor temp at what feels like 90 degrees! We weren't used to the cold of the outdoors and then the cranked up heat in the stores.

Posted by
12040 posts

It would help if you specified where you are going in "West Germany", as this is a rather vague term and includes at least three different climate zones.

Posted by
12172 posts

For coats, I always bring an unlined waterproof/windproof shell with a hood and longer than waist length (enough to keep my rear end dry in a storm). If it's not raining, I keep it rolled up in a daypack. I got soaked one beautiful day in London when it was so nice I left my rain shell at the hotel; later it was pouring.

For warmth, I like a combination of lightweight wool sweaters and a 100 or, in winter, 200 weight polar fleece. When it's really cold, I layer both over a shirt or two and the shell over that.

In winter, add a pair of knit gloves, a scarf and a ski cap on top. A pair of silk long johns on bottom will keep your bottom half comfortable.

Germany can be cold in the winter. The days are short and often gray. Mid 30's days and 30 at night sounds about right but those are averages. It could be ten, or more, degrees either side. Layering, as opposed to bringing one heavy jacket, allows you to adjust to a variety of conditions.

I'm sure someone will mention that it's also likely to be warm inside so give some thought to what you are wearing when you strip off the layers.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks everyone for your input. The postings were helpful!

Posted by
2297 posts

I'll be wearing my down winter jacket this coming winter in Germany. It's long enough to cover my behind but stops before hitting the knees so I can still walk freely. I spent most of my life there and I cannot remember ever feeling too warm wearing a winter jacket during winter. Sweater + fleeze? not for me!