Please sign in to post.

Germany

Well, we couldn't find frequent flier miles out of Paris or London for our dates, but we could find them from Frankfurt. ( It was a direct flight back to Dallas. The flights from London or Paris had overnight connections! Yuck!!!) Plus, last week my stepbrother and his wife arrived at their new duty station in Blaumholder.. ( not sure if I spelled that correctly.) Germany They are having their first kid in March and his wife is fluent in German and I thought would be a great resource. So that is why we are adding Germany. The original plan was just London, Paris and Normandy. I'm just not sure how to break the time up. The towns around Cochem looked quaint and we would do Berg Eltz. For Normandy we planned to see just about every single D-Day sight you can see, Caen museum, American, German and Canadian Beaches, St Marie Eglise ( too lazy to look it up right now) and then just enjoy French culture, going to a market or little bitty town bakery and just soaking it up. Walking on the beach. This would give us a little bit of a rest from London and Paris whirlwind. The other problem is the gites are either a week from friday to Friday or 4 days which are Monday to Friday... so we leave Tuesday, arrive in London on Wed, stay till Sunday. Spend Sunday and MOnday morning in Paris. Then Monday on to Normandy. Friday drive to Versaille, Saturday drive to Verdun and on to Germany. Wednesday morning we fly back. We didn't do Blenheim because he was only born there and it seemed like since he really LIVED and spent much time after the war at Chartwell that seemed a better choice. Don't they have his paintings there? Christine

Posted by
1589 posts

"We didn't do Blenheim because he was only born there and it seemed like since he really LIVED and spent much time after the war at Chartwell that seemed a better choice. Don't they have his paintings there?" Who?

Posted by
571 posts

Bob,
Christine is answering my response to her other thread on England, France and Germany. Somehow it accidentally got on its own thread.

Posted by
10344 posts

Bob, answering your question, that would be Winston Churchill. This thread doesn't make much sense, unless you first read her other thread: http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/58480/england-france-germany-itinerary-input.html She must have accidentally clicked the Ask Your Travel Question button instead of the Post A Reply button. When you do that, you get a brand new topic, whether you want it or not.

Posted by
12172 posts

If you're doing Cochem, you should add Trier. Maybe do the first half day in Trier, eat lunch there, then up to Cochem for Burg Eltz and dinner at a Wein Stube.

Posted by
100 posts

If you add Trier, you should make a quick stop in BernKastel on your way to Cochem. Its a small village right on the Mosel. Very pretty city, one of my favorites!