Please sign in to post.

Germany, Austria & Switzerland Itinerary

Hi there, I am planning a trip with my boyfriend in mid June.
We are flying into Munich and staying for 2 nights, then we are renting a car to go to Salzburg & Bertschgaten for 4 nights.
From here we will be staying in Zell Am See for 2 nights and driving to Grosslockner High Alpine Road.
Following this we will be going to Fussen for 2 nights to see the castles, and then down to Grindelwald in Switzerland for hiking for the final 5 nights.

Is it worth staying in Fussen for 2 nights? Is there much else to do around there, or should we consider staying in another location nearby such as Mittenwald/Reutte?

Also, we are hoping to break up the drive a bit between Fussen and Grindelwald and wondering if there are any recommendations on where to stay and explore for a night between these two locations (Fussen & Grindelwald)?

Any other feedback with respects to the itinerary is also appreciated!

Thank you!!

Posted by
7688 posts

Fussen is near Garmisch and there is plenty to do in that area. Oberamergau is worth a visit and taking the cable car up to the Zugspitz.

Posted by
1443 posts

There will be a hefty fee for renting the car in Germany and dropping it off in another country. If that is a concern, then consider dropping it off in Germany and then relying on rail transport into and within Switzerland.

I don't know what your interests are but if I were going from southern Germany to Grindlewald, I would consider staying a night or two in Appenzell, Switzerland. It's a rural area of Switzerland with lots of natural beauty, hiking options, small villages, and a folk museum. Appenzell to Grindlewald is about 4.5 hours by train.

Posted by
171 posts

DevN2 asks; Is it worth staying in Fussen for 2 nights? Is there much else to do around there, or should we consider staying in another location nearby such as Mittenwald/Reutte?

You might consider staying in Mittenwald or Reutte and doing Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and Wieskirche one day and Linderhof another day. So, yes, you could almost plan to spend 3 nights in the area. If you go to Wieskirche be sure to go inside the church because that is the reason for visiting it. For the best view of Neuschwanstein take the bus from Fussen to Marienbrucke.

Posted by
6664 posts

Most of your destinations are very similar. Why so many mountain towns?

"Following this we will be going to Fussen for 2 nights to see the castles..."

With 15 nights altogether, you could use these 2 nights and 1-2 additional borrowed nights to add a little diversity and visit "the other" southern Germany to the west, which isn't far off your route to Switzerland.

Burg Hohenzollern is far less inundated by tourists than Neuschwanstein (which btw is a late 19th-century palace, not a castle.)
Meersburg Castle on Lake Constance and Meersburg itself are worthwhile, as is nearby Lindau. Tübingen is a handsome university town on the Neckar River with an interesting historic town center.