Please sign in to post.

Germany & Austria late April, 2022, two weeks

As the days are getting shorter, I'm consoling myself with starting to plan the next trip.
We fly into Munich and out of Frankfurt. Covid-willing, and this is the first very rough draft. Been to these places before, but left with the "I have to return for more" feelings [except Regensburg- havent been there yet.]. My husband hasn't been to either country. We are active seniors, traveling by train with carry-on only. Don't feel I need to revisit Munich. You all were invaluable to all my previous trips, and am hoping for insights and guidance to narrow my reading and research. Also, I appreciate hotel recommendations. Thanks so much in advance.

1.Fly SAN to Munich, red-eye
2.land 7:30 pm, sleep Munich

3. Salzburg via early train, sleep Salzburg

4.sleep Salzburg
5. sleep Salzburg
6.sleep Regensburg
7.sleep Regensburg
8.sleep Rothenburg [Just love relaxing here, wandering, Night Watchman's Tour, walking the wall]
9.sleep Rothenburg
10.sleep Rothenburg [day trip to Nurnberg?]
11. sleep Rhine River Valley [the stay in Bacharach vs St Goar debate begins]; Castles, wine tasting, and maybe biking in the area
12. sleep Rhine River Valley
13.sleep Rhine River Valley OR late train to Frankfurt airport hotel
14. fly home from Frankfurt 10:30 am flight

Posted by
20081 posts

My only suggestion, instead of taking a separate day trip to Nuremberg from Rothenburg, why not do it as a stopover on the way from Regensburg? You have to change trains there anyway, so stash the bags in a locker at the train station and take 6 hours to tour the town.

You can use Bayern Tickets or much of this. 33 EUR covers both of you for the day for Munich-Salzburg, Salzburg-Regensburg, and Regensburg-Rothenburg. Includes all public transportation for the day as well.

Posted by
3844 posts

I'm curious what the flight itinerary looks like that gets you into MUC at 7:30 pm.

Posted by
2399 posts

In Rothenburg I stay in this apartment - www.froehlich-rothenburg.de - nice location near church, marketplace. Good price

In Bacharach I stay at Irmgard Orth‘s 3 room b&b. Nicest lady. Will be making our 5th visit in 10 years. great price. Www.rhein-nahe-touristik.de click on GASTEGEBER then PRIVAT GASTEZIMMER. We usually take an early morning train to FRA

Posted by
1117 posts

Be aware that April has the reputation of being the unpredictable weather month (not saying that the German weather is predictable in the other months...). Late April can be quite beautiful, especially in the Rhine Valley, and with climate change making spring come earlier each year. Just make sure you come prepared for all sorts of weather.

Posted by
3844 posts

I'll throw out what I throw out on most posts that mention a visit to Salzburg. For a unique experience that gets you out of the Old Town, consider a visit to the Panoramabar at the city library (Stadt:Bibliothek, as it is stylistically named). The Panoramabar began its life as a sports bar, but that apparently did not work out so well, so it is now a cafe connected to the library and employs adults with developmental disabilities, preparing them to work in the dining industry.

Things I like about this activity: (1) the walk (or bus ride) to get there takes you into the "new town," (2) you get to see an Austrian library [and its shockingly red carpet], (3) you get to ride a cool diagonally-moving elevator to get up to the Panoramabar, (4) you get great views over Salzburg (including toward the fortress) in a quiet, relaxed atmosphere, and (5) you get to support a helpful social program. I think its worthwhile to pop into the INTERSPAR-hypermarkt across the street, too, to see an enormous store that sells groceries and other goods.

Some very basic German food/drink ordering skills are needed for the Panoramabar activity, as the servers only speak German.

Posted by
4692 posts

Thanks for all the input. Now for more reading.