Please sign in to post.

General Europe

Please excuse my ignorance, but I noticed many posts saying to make copies of your passports, driver's licenses, etc. In what way do you use copies? And where do you keep your actual passports while on the trip? My husband and I will be going to Europe for the first time. We will be in Amsterdam for four days, a river cruise down the Rhine and visiting relatives (via rented car) in southern Germany. Any advice for such an adventure would be appreciated. We are in our 60's and 70's, so am gathering as much info as I can. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
435 posts

I have the copies just in case my passport were to be lost or stolen (which fortunately has never happened). Unless I'm checking in at an airport or hotel, I keep my actual passport in my moneybelt, under my clothes. Hope you have a great trip!

Posted by
3428 posts

Donna, Some people make the copies as an emergency backup. If your documents should be lost or stolen, having the info or copies of them will make working with the US consolate/embassy easier. Others carry their copies when they are out and keep the originals in the safe at the hotel. You might need your passport to fill out a VAT claim, for example. Some stores will fill out the form for you. You need your driver's licenses for the rental car (might want to check into International licenses, too).

Posted by
4408 posts

Donna, I think you'd find that reading "Europe Through the Backdoor" would be helpful. It covers the basics of (European) travel. This question, plus a multitude you don't even know to ask (!), are covered by it. And now here's a shameless plug for our Sacramento Helpline group ;-) We announce our meetings around the 1st week of every month in this ('General Europe') section of the Helpline. We meet every 3rd Sat of the month at I-80 and Truxel, and would love to meet you and help you with your trip!

Posted by
1068 posts

I agree reading ETTBD is great. Consider scanning your passport, other ID and health info then e-mailing it to yourself. That way you can never lose it.

Posted by
4684 posts

In many European countries you are strictly-speaking legally obliged to carry an official ID card at all times. For people who come from countries with no legal ID system, that will be your passport. Many people from the US and UK, however, carry a photocopy of the main pages of their passport with them on the street in case they get pickpocketed or robbed.