Please sign in to post.

General Europe

My husband has given me a trip to Europe for the summer. We don't like the normal touristy things. Any suggestions on where we should go? We have a little more than 8 weeks. We also like to travel very inexpensively and see how the locals really live. Thanks!

Posted by
11507 posts

Wow, lucky you. So what do you consider the "normal touristy things", visiting world class museums, medieval ruins, magnificant cathederals? Thats ok, many people prefer to just visit beaches and countryside, is that what you mean, do you wish to visit many places, or stay put a few weeks at at time, perhaps renting a gite somewhere? Are you a hiker, biker, or are you onenophiles and foodies.. a bit more information from you would help alot . You have such a nice long visit seems you could really do alot of things,, I am quite envious. What are your priorities? If budget is a concern booking stays in apartments will save you money, but if looking for the south /beach front for August you had better book soon.

Posted by
32322 posts

Gayla, With eight weeks, there are a lot of possibilities. If this is your first time in Europe, the first thing to do is read Europe Through The Back Door, which has LOTS of information on "how" to travel in Europe. After you've chosen some destinations, use the country or city-specific Guidebooks to plan sightseeing, hotels, transportation, etc. It would help if you could narrow down which countries you might be interested in. It's somewhat difficult to provide any specific information without knowing where you'll be going to. You might get some good ideas by watching Rick's TV shows on PBS (in your location, I'm assuming that's KCTS). Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
19532 posts

Inexpensive? Locals as they were before tourism? Magnificent places where you might be the only American? Good food? Majestic scenery? Simple!!! Go EAST; Bulgaria, Romania, Slovakia, Hungary ...... I know a little if you are interested. Or check out some of the places here: http://budapestflat.shutterfly.com/ click on the links in the black band at the top. HU = Hungary, Bp = Budapest, BU = Bulgaria, MORE, etc.

Posted by
12313 posts

If I were given your parameters, I'd book four or five apartments for a week each in locations that look good to you (for example Spain, Southern France, Italy) that can be visited in a logical order. I'd use the additional time to explore the areas between your apartment stays (with one or two night stays along the way). I'd book a car (either rent or lease) for the entire trip to use for day trips and travel - with the exception of staying in a city, at the start and/or end of your trip, where you can use public transit to get around (pick up your car after a city stop at the front end, drop off before your stay at the end of the trip) .