Please sign in to post.

General europe

Looking at a backpacking trip thru Europe in 2015. With all the weird politics and violence in the world right now, how safe is it to travel in Europe?

Posted by
23548 posts

What are your concerns? It is safer backpacking across Europe than a similar trip across the US.

You need to come to our monthly travel meetings - 3rd Sat each month, Panera in Aspen Grove shopping center, 10 AM.

Posted by
12040 posts

"how safe is it to travel in Europe?"

Let's turn that question on it's head. One of my neighbors' kids showed me a video similar to this one and asked me if it's dangerous to be in the US right now. I'm honestly not sure how to respond.

EDIT: The link is dead, but it formerly showed a video of people fighting over merchandise at Walmart on a Black Friday.

Posted by
12313 posts

Europe, especially western Europe, is generally safe. You have to be careful about petty theft (purse, wallet, valuables left unattended). Other than that, avoid the things you would avoid here (being alone on dark streets at night, getting into a car with someone you don't know, etc.) and you shouldn't have any problems.

Posted by
2535 posts

Is it safe to travel in Europe (and the US)? Yes. Use common sense.

Posted by
2081 posts

Jan,

If youre a single Female, then hopefully your sensors are on most of the time no matter where you are or what youre doing.

Traveling isnt much different but youre in a different location.

As some Doctor said, your living long is just a matter of missing lifes landminds or something to that affect.

So, if youre going to travel plan ahead and try to avoid places that arent going to be happy to see Americans or single Females. If youre the type that have to push the limits, then just be away being an "american" doesnt mean much ouside of the USA.

if you can list the countries/cities others that have traveled recently should be able to give you an idea on how "safe" it is.

happy trails.

Posted by
32321 posts

Jan,

I've found that Europe is generally safer than many places in North America, although that varies somewhat between countries. There seems to be less violent crime of the type that occurs here, and more petty crime such as pickpocketing, ring/bracelet/petition scams, etc. Travellers who "do their homework" and take reasonable precautions such as a Money Belt, often don't have any problems.

In one sense your question is a bit difficult to answer, as the situation with "weird politics and violence in the world right now" could be quite different in 2015. I'd suggest going ahead with your trip planning and adjust your Itinerary according to conditions at the time.

I often travel solo and so far haven't had any problems. If this is your first trip to Europe, I'd highly recommend reading Europe Through The Back Door, as that provides a LOT of good information on subjects like Itinerary planning, Scams and solo travel. Use the country or city-specific Guidebooks to plan hotels, restaurants, sightseeing, transportation, etc.

I agree with Frank that it would be a good idea to attend a meeting of the Denver HelpLine group, as the experienced travellers there will be able to answer any questions.

Happy travels!

Posted by
4637 posts

Europe feels safer than USA. I did not see statistics so have to go with feeling. Eastern (and Central) Europe does not feel any more dangerous than Western Europe. Of course Europe consists of many countries and each of them is different. You can read State Department description of countries you are going to visit on S.D. website.

Posted by
146 posts

If you are worried about the weird political stuff you need to think ahead to 2016 and plan a trip outside of the U.S. to escape the sleazy ads and constant robocalls.

Posted by
11507 posts

Jan not sure what weird politics you are worried about.. lol you are asking about Europe not the middle east right?

I have and do travel far more comfortably solo in western Europe then I do when visiting the States.. so I suggest you will be SAFER in Europe then at home.

Pickpockets are a concern in some big cities but they are not violent but sneaky so you don't have to worry about being shot or mugged..

My daughter is 17 and in her last year of highschool.. I am encouraging her to take a month or two and travel through Europe when finished.. I love my daughter and would not encourage such travel if I felt it was dangerous( or any more dangerous then her going downtown here for the afternoon) . Common sense should always apply no matter where you go .

Posted by
97 posts

Jan, despite how some posters are trying to make Europe out to be 100% safe, just use your common sense. Keep your eyes and ears open and be wary of pickpockets/scams.

Crime does occur in Europe but if you are cautious, you can greatly decrease your chances of being a victim.

My husband and I got mugged coming out of a baseball game two years ago, in the middle of . . . wait for it . . . Toronto. So stay alert and you should be okay.

Posted by
97 posts

Keith, my point about Toronto was that crime can happen anywhere (even good ole Canada). You must have missed that.

Yeah, pretty sure the Bolton I'm living in isn't in Europe.

Posted by
33457 posts

or even in Notlob if your parrot is dead.

Posted by
2193 posts

Since Toronto is bigger than Chicago, why would anyone be less cautious/less alert and expect it to be as safe as a place called Bolton? Toronto is much safer than its American counterparts, but crime is hardly non-existent there. You need to be vigilant in big cities. I’ve said this before, but if you want to be super, duper safe in a big city, go visit the two biggest cities in the world: Tokyo and Seoul. As for Europe, others have already shared what’s appropriate…take whatever normal precautions you would take in big cities here, and you’ll be fine.

Maybe Jan is asking about terrorism? Don’t worry about it…there’s only so much you can do…the rest is up to god, fate, or whatever. IMO, Europe is as safe as the USA as far as terrorism is concerned. As long as you’re not hiking the Hindu Kush, you’ll be fine.

Posted by
15840 posts

If you are looking for weird politics don't look farther than the US, you will find plenty here.

Political violence is not really common in Europe, maybe you were looking at someplace in the Middle East.

Statistically violent crime is much more prevalent in the US than Europe. But as others as mentioned, you need to exercise caution and use common sense wherever you go, especially if you are a young woman traveling on your own.

Petty theft is the biggest risk when you are a tourist in a European city because thieves target tourists more (they carry more cash, cameras, and they tend to be distracted by the sights). Therefore be careful in crowded places especially (public transportation or any other crowded place). That advice would not be much different if you were visiting New York City or any other big American city. I've known more people that have been pick pocketed in Manhattan than in Florence (where I lived).

Posted by
12040 posts

"or even in Notlob if your parrot is dead."

That's intercity rail for you!

Posted by
2768 posts

Can you clarify what weird political stuff, and in which areas? I'm not aware of any political issues in Europe that would cause travel issues. The middle east, yes (although from what I understand many places in that region are safer than we think). Do you mean some of the issues in Russia and Ukraine? That's pretty much the only possible political concern in Europe I can think of. I've never been to those countries, so if that's your specific question, I'd ask in the Eastern Europe section. However, my sense is that it would be fine with some caution.

If you mean terrorism in general, well that can happen anywhere and is extremely unlikely to happen during your trip, let alone in the city you're in at that moment, let alone to you..

So yes, use basic caution like keeping valuables locked up or on you, not going places with sketchy people, avoiding dark alleys alone at night, etc. None of this is political, or Europe specific - just general common sense - and you should have a great time. Do you travel in bigger cities in the US or Canada? If so, you should have no problem. Europe feels safer than, say, NY or Chicago. If you're the type of person who has never left SmallTown, Kansas, then I'd read up a bit on general street smarts.

I personally like having an itinerary and reservations for each night, and knowing the police number and location of an English-speaking hospital, but I've never needed any of it, and I admit that it's all for my own peace of mind.

Posted by
989 posts

Jan appears to have left the building.

The OP stated: "with all the weird politics and violence in the WORLD right now", so I don't think she necessarily implied weird politics or violence in Europe, but was inquiring about general safety in Europe as compared to other areas.

But really, when has there NOT been weird politics and violence someplace in the world? We all know how the first half of the 20th century progressed and the list of wars throughout the world in the 70 years since the UN was formed is staggering, especially when you think that there is now an organization built to keep (enforce?) peace among nations.

So if you want to travel, you just have to get up and go, but put on your common-sense knickers before you do. Of course, that is assuming you have any.