Please sign in to post.

General Europe

I am planning to spend several months in Europe, most likely a few weeks in several different countries: Ireland, England, Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal, France, Netherlands, Finland, Germany and Austria. What will I need to worry about as far as visas?

Posted by
5 posts

I am wanting to stay longer than 90 days.

Posted by
19117 posts

All those countries except UK and Ireland are part of the Schengen treaty. As long as you are a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport, you will be granted a temporary Schengen visa when you arrive (no physical document, just permission). With that temporary visa, you can remain in the Schengen zone for 90 days, total, out of the next 180 days. Time in the British Isles does not count towards the 90 days. See "Schengen Area" under Wikipedia.

Posted by
9363 posts

As Lee said, "several months" can only by 90 days in all of the Schengen Zone, so you will have plan carefully to avoid going over the limit.

Posted by
6788 posts

90 days is what you (well, I) get as a tourist, period. That's for US passport holders, I'd assume it's the same for Canadian passport holders but maybe you get a better deal (being so close to Europe)? Assuming the rules are the same for Canadians (don't know), if you want more than 90 days, there may be other ways you can manage it (legally), but all would probably involve going through a great deal of legal/bureaucratic hoops and ultimately may or may not be successful (depends on what basis you're applying for a longer stay - just wanting to hang out for more than 90 days is probably not going to cut it - but maybe you have some special connection?). You could start by doing some research, contacting the embassy or consulate for one of your target countries and ask them what it would take. But I suspect that you are probably going to need to re-evaluate your plans and live with the 90 day restriction, unless you are prepared to invest a lot of time & effort and/or have some special status that would make a long-term visa more easily available. Good luck.

Posted by
9363 posts

What I meant by careful planning is to plan to spend no more than 90 days in all of the countries you list EXCEPT for Ireland and England, then spend the rest of the time you want in Ireland and England. They don't have the same restriction. You can come and go from the Schengen area, but you need to keep documentation as to when you entered and left in order to not go over the limit.

Posted by
32222 posts

amy, How much longer than 90-days are you planning to stay? I would highly recommend doing some research on the Schengen countries. Plan your Itinerary so that you stay a maximum of 90-days in those countries. For the balance of your trip, you can move to the U.K., Ireland or perhaps some or the eastern European countries that aren't covered by Schengen. You'll receive a stamp when you enter the first Schengen country and another one when you leave. That's generally how they determine the length of time a visitor has been there. Although not everyone gets caught, the penalties can be severe for those that flaunt the rules. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
120 posts

For what it's worth I agree with the previous poster. Asking about visa requirements on a travel site is going give you as many different answers as there are posts. The only way to find out is to approach the Embassy/ High Commission of the countries you intend visiting, or their websites anf getting the information from the relevant government department/s, not a groups of amateur travel gurus.