Please sign in to post.

France, Venice May/June 2012

I am going to be in Paris at the of of May and in Venice first week of June, I'm looking for recommendations on places to stay and must see sites. Thanks!

Posted by
9092 posts

Why are you going? Must be a reason you've spent the money and made the time to visit two of the most intriguing cities on the planet. Have you been in Europe before? What I may think is something to investigate could bore you to death. What are your interests? Art? History? Shopping? Are you a foodie? Interested in photography? Architecture? What do you know about these cities? I suggest you head out to the local Barnes and Nobles to buy Rick's books on Paris and Venice. VERY practical information. Easy reads. Will help you plan an itinerary as well as help you decide what you must see. As far as accommodations he'll have some places listed but at this late date they'll undoubtedly be booked. What's your budget? Interested in a B & B? Hotel? Apartment? Research the To The Boot and To The West sections of the helpline. Scroll until you see questions about lodgings. You can also check the Graffiti Wall. Good Luck.

Posted by
15768 posts

Vick, I recommend you immediately request that your question be deleted and then post it again WITHOUT your email address. . . or edit your question to remove it. It is much safer for you not to have you email here in a public forum. I'm sure there are others who will be happy to give you some advice. I'll check back later.

Posted by
15768 posts

Well done, Vick. Rick Steves has free audio tours of both Paris and Venice. For Venice, in addition to his tours, I would add the Doge's Palace, including the Secret Itineraries Tour, and the Jewish Ghetto tour. There are other sites that are well worth seeing, depending on how much time you have there. I like staying in the Dorsoduro area, close (up to 10 minutes' walk) to the Academia bridge. Paris - there is never enough time to see all the "must-sees." You will have to narrow it down to your specific interests, but also allow time to sit in a park, at a sidewalk cafe, and wander around. There are many wonderful museums, lots of beautiful churches, palaces, gardens, shopping, monuments, scenic viewpoints. I like staying in the Marais quarter, with the Latin Quarter and St Germaine as a close second. You may have little choice in accommodations this late in the day, though. you might find something good through lastminute.com