Please sign in to post.

France:Trip of a Life Time.

My wife and I will be traveling next year for the first time for possible of 3 weeks beginning 7-28-09- 8-22-09. Here are the places would like to vist. 8 days in Paris, which includes out of paris trips to Versailles, Amboise, Arles, Loir the Provance. 2 days in Frecn Riviera wich include Nice, Vence, Antibus, Monaco. From there go to Rome for 3 days than 1 day in Florence, 1 day in Venice. From Venice got to Swiss Alpsf or 2 day and stay at Gimmemward or Murren. From there go to London for 2 days and back to Paris and come home . Would $8.000 be enough for this trip? Does my plans sound doable or is it too much. Give me any suggestions. And again this is our firt time going to Europe. Woud you recommend we buy a railpass.

Posted by
15768 posts

You will need to include travel time in your itinerary. I suspect that while you will be able to get to all the places you list, you will spend most of your time on trains rather than enjoying the sights.

Posted by
32318 posts

Alberto, the Itinerary you suggested seems a bit inefficient in terms of the route you've chosen. To begin with, I would strongly suggest that you use open jaw flights, perhaps beginning your trip in London and ending in Rome. Three weeks is not a long time in European travel, and to accomplish all the destinations you want to see, it will be essential to plan an efficient route! Keep in mind that travellers to Europe often lose the first day of the trip in flight times and time zone changes, and then have to contend with jet lag for a day or two after arrival.

Regarding the Rail Pass, you'll need to have somewhat of a "firm" route plan before you can determine whether a Rail Pass is going to be cost effective.

As someone else mentioned, there doesn't seem to be much "travel time" built into your Itinerary? I suspect it will be necessary to drop a few of the places you want to visit. I'd also suggest limiting the one night stops, and perhaps dropping a day or so from Paris, in order to allow some time for the other locations.

Could you clarify whether the $8000 travel budget is for both you and your Wife? Were you including air fares and Rail Passes (if required) in that amount?

It would help if you could indicate which of the locations you listed are most important to you both, and which you might be willing to drop from the list? Also, since this is your first trip I'd highly recommend that you both read Europe Through The Back Door, as it provides an enormous amount of information on European travel, including Itinerary planning and rail skills.

Good luck!

Posted by
3580 posts

Three weeks in two countries (France and Italy) should be about right. I think $8000 would be a comfortable amount for two people on a moderate budget. This would include airfares and travel within Europe. My suggested schedule would be: 6 days in Paris with daytrips to Versailles and the Loire, 5 days in Provence (including a stop in Arles) and Riviera (flexible). Fly Nice to Rome and stay there 3 nights, 3 nights in Florence, train to Venice and stay 3 nights. Fly from Venice to Paris a day before your flight home. Stay in Paris overnight to be in place for your flight home. The two flights I mention could be replaced by train trips, but these would be at least all-day trips. Flying would be faster and maybe cheaper. You could buy France-Italy railpasses for this two-country trip.