Please sign in to post.

Flying to europe in aug 2009

I am looking for the most economical flight.( a 2 week visit) Our plans include London; greece, paris; nothing carved in stone; The most I can get for my money
All suggestions are appreciated

Thanks
Deb

Posted by
23290 posts

Actually it is the Aegean Sea that Greece sits in and not the Med but lets not be overly technical. A couple of things -- if trying to be economical, August is the most expensive time to go. Shifting to May or Sept/Oct would be helpful. Two, Greece to London is a lot of territory that will eat up time and money. I would concentrate on a smaller area - England, France, Italy or Spain. Even that is a good chunk of ground. Try an open jaw ticket -- into London, home from Rome or Milan for example. Or into Paris and save London for another time. Even if you don't believe there will be another time, having a mind set that there will be is useful when having to eliminate certain places. "We will see that next time." is one of wife's favorite expressions. IMO !!!! it is far better to see a few things very well rather than to see many things poorly.

Posted by
524 posts

I agree with the others, that's a bit much to do in two weeks. Though not as impossible as it once was, given all the intraEurope airlines these days. A couple years ago I did a two week trip, with one week in Italy and one in Ireland. That would have been unthinkable 30 years ago (my first trip), but now it's just a short flight away.

Still, with only two weeks it is a good idea to see fewer places well, as others have suggested. The "most you can get for your money" should be measured qualitatively.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
3551 posts

Concentrate on France, value is very good if you follow RS guidebk and the sights everywhere are fabulous. You can't go wrong the variety in france is terrific. Start in Paris and hit your preferred spots from there. Also consider flying back from Milan or Frankfurt if that better fits your itin.

Posted by
11507 posts

I'm with others , Paris, London and Greece is not practical for only 2 weeks, so of course you must edit.

My take is a bit different though,,

If you are young , or young at heart, then I would also consider spending the whole two weeks in Greece, visiting two or three islands. I LOVED Greece when I was 23( I guess I still love it, but haven't been back for many years). We did Paros and Myknonos, then my friend went to Corfu. I wish we had done Santorini and Naxos also, but two weeks is not alot of time..

Its a different type of holiday then London and Paris. I LOVE Paris and like London well enough, but just consider what you really want to do THIS time, remember you can always go back to Europe for a different type of trip next time.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks to all who replied. I did make changes I am NOW flying the last 2 weeks in Oct.

deb

Posted by
23290 posts

Now you have new problems. Most of the Greek Isles will be or in the processes of shutting down by late October. Italy and/or Spain would be lovely at that time.

Posted by
3 posts

oh no! Frank!! OK I can adjust!!! We had decided on Greece. My friend,Faith; is familiar with England; I was hoping for Greece.This weekend we hope to book to the flights. Thanks again

deb

Posted by
23290 posts

I think you need to work on a little clarity of travel plans. There is a lot of country between Greece and England. And it maybe a little early for booking Oct tickets. We are planning on being in Santorini in mid Oct and the hotel's last week of operation is the week of Oct 11th. You might consider the first two weeks of Oct, fly into Athens and come home from London.

Posted by
11507 posts

deb, my friend and I did Greece( the islands mostly) the last week of Sept and the first week of October. I consider that ideal timing, it was still warm and lovely, and everything was still going on, but it wasn't overly crowded or crazy, plus the locals seemed a bit more relaxed, perhaps knowing their vacation time was coming up,, LOL

Posted by
466 posts

Get an open jaw ticket and Fly into London take the chunnel over to paris and then I'd either go to Italy or Spain. Greece is way too far out of the way unless you want to get on another plane and fly there?

Posted by
466 posts

Forgot to add: If it's seeing the ancient ruins that are calling you to Greece, remember that Rome is full of ancient ruins as well!!!!