Please sign in to post.

Flight is booked for BOE May, 2016! And a special thank you to Sam!

We booked our flights last night after I vented to my fiancee over the prices out of Detroit Metro (currently at $2,972.00 for two). After pondering over Sam's suggestion of using Windsor/Toronto as an option, we booked our flight at a total cost of $1,706.10 USD for the two of us. Even with having to have a layover in Toronto is worth the savings!

Thank you again, Sam!

Sylvia

Posted by
17908 posts

I saw this post and I went back and checked prices from my home town in the southwest USA round trip to Toronto and then another round trip ticket from Toronto to Budapest. Turned out I could get a pretty decent schedule with a reasonable layover in Toronto for about $250 less than my current ticket. I was surprised. I thought I knew all of the tricks.

I did once many years ago lay over in Toronto on a flight from Prague to the southwest US. It wasn't a good experience. Our Czech Air flight couldn't get an arrival gate for nearly 3 hours. Then the Air Canada connection the next day (missed our scheduled connection) was very poorly run. Still for $250 savings per ticket I might just chance it again in the near future.

Thanks all

Posted by
4517 posts

I'm a bit puzzled by this post. BOE is a grass airstrip in central Congo Republic which does not get commercial flights, and there's no Windsor/Toronto airport, they are a 4 hour drive apart.

Posted by
29 posts

BOE is Best Of Europe. I said Windsor/Toronto because we have to stop in Toronto in order to get to Europe. My apologies if it was confusing.

Posted by
13934 posts

That is so great that you found a good price for your flight! You will love the BOE! I've done 7 RS tours and this one will probably always be my favorite! Have a wonderful time.

I didn't find your post confusing at all since it is the Rick Steves' forum and people often use acronyms for his tour departures. I'm hoping to do GAS this year because I loved the time I had in Switzerland on the BOE and would like to spend some more time there.

Posted by
20081 posts

Thanks. Living close to the Canadian border helps these days of airline consolidation and defacto price fixing.